Bins they are a'changin

My brown bin (plastic & metal) wasn’t emptied today. Bin men left a tag on it stating it contained incorrect  waste items. 

Id put polystyrene &  plastic bags at the top, all of which had the relevant recycling logos clearly marked. 

So should I have put these items in my black bin instead?

On 7/15/2018 at 12:14 AM, ivan edake said:

I fail to see what the problem is.Most people put what they want in the bottom half of any coloured bin and then the correct stuff on the top.

very true for a lot of people.

im lucky the black bin even though it is emptied only every other week i more than suffice for all my needs.  which includes all the council's leaves i have to clear off my property throughout about 6 months of the year.    if anyone wants to poke through my trash when its out on the street to look for cans and bottles they are welcome to do so.

16 hours ago, WarPig said:

My brown bin (plastic & metal) wasn’t emptied today. Bin men left a tag on it stating it contained incorrect  waste items. 

Id put polystyrene &  plastic bags at the top, all of which had the relevant recycling logos clearly marked. 

So should I have put these items in my black bin instead?

It's not for general plastic unfortunately, so yes you should have put the polystyrene and bags in the black bin.

2 minutes ago, mike84 said:

It's not for general plastic unfortunately, so yes you should have put the polystyrene and bags in the black bin.

Thanks, the polystyrene and bags were marked with the triangle symbol with a number inside, the standard marking that suggests them being recyclable. I shall put them in my black bin, and try and take my brown bin to the tip to empty. Failing that, my plastic waste for the next month will all have to go into my black bin.

5 minutes ago, WarPig said:

Thanks, the polystyrene and bags were marked with the triangle symbol with a number inside, the standard marking that suggests them being recyclable. I shall put them in my black bin, and try and take my brown bin to the tip to empty. Failing that, my plastic waste for the next month will all have to go into my black bin.

It's a shame more plastics aren't recycled but they seem to just want plastic bottles and are happy just to burn everything else at the incinerator.

They should still come and collect it on a separate lorry if you call them, you don’t need to take it to the tip yourself. Single use plastics are not recycled by veolia so while it is recyclable somewhere it’s not here.

slightly separate note but does anyone find their blue bin is not big enough? I’ve complained to veolia and the council but just get a standard

reply and they claim all the people that trialed it said it was enough, I have so far made 2 trips to the recycling point at Asda because it was full within 2 weeks. Anymore will go in the general waste bin

Really fed up of over flowing bins, just don't know where the rubbish comes from.  Household of 6 and there's never enough room in any of the bins. 

15 hours ago, sean344 said:

They should still come and collect it on a separate lorry if you call them, you don’t need to take it to the tip yourself. Single use plastics are not recycled by veolia so while it is recyclable somewhere it’s not here.

slightly separate note but does anyone find their blue bin is not big enough? I’ve complained to veolia and the council but just get a standard

reply and they claim all the people that trialed it said it was enough, I have so far made 2 trips to the recycling point at Asda because it was full within 2 weeks. Anymore will go in the general waste bin

The blue bin is not big enough to last a month between collections. It seems a lot of us are finding this so if we all complain to the council, they might realise. 

We also struggle with the blue bin capacity. The huge brown bin does not even get quarter full.in a month but the blue bin is full after2 weeks

3 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

The blue bin is not big enough to last a month between collections. It seems a lot of us are finding this so if we all complain to the council, they might realise. 

All plastics should be collected and the plastics one authority does not recycle should be transported to the nearest authority that does recycle it. They tell people to recycle and most people do, but all the different authorities pick what to recycle and what not to, surely it makes sense to move it to a place that does.

8 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Aren’t blue bins more than twice the capacity of the blue crates?