Bins they are a'changin

14 minutes ago, truman said:

They'd get nothing from our house...

Probably 3 chicken carcasses a year from us.

I think the blue and brown bins are the wrong way round. We used blue for paper previously and it was always nearly full for the fortnightly collection. Now it's monthly, so it's full up after half the month. Conversely, the brown bin is only about a third full when collected.

Maybe the council should allow us to use either bin for each, so long as it's the correct content. 

8 hours ago, alarmingmark said:

It also says free garden waste collection .....can't see that happening when they currently charge us !

Must have been a typo.

16 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I think the blue and brown bins are the wrong way round. We used blue for paper previously and it was always nearly full for the fortnightly collection. Now it's monthly, so it's full up after half the month. Conversely, the brown bin is only about a third full when collected.

Maybe the council should allow us to use either bin for each, so long as it's the correct content. 

that brown bin is way to big for us - and yes, the paper bin should be the bigger one, especially now the collections have reduced.   Cant wait to have festering food waste sitting in a container for weeks on end, especially during the warmer months (sigh).  We already compost what we can anyway, mixed in with the rabbit hay and waste, but there's only so much compost you can make use of in a tiny terraced back garden!

Guess that internet shopping and other packagings produces lots of cardboard waste that needs recycling. 

3 hours ago, katkin said:

that brown bin is way to big for us - and yes, the paper bin should be the bigger one, especially now the collections have reduced.   Cant wait to have festering food waste sitting in a container for weeks on end, especially during the warmer months (sigh).  We already compost what we can anyway, mixed in with the rabbit hay and waste, but there's only so much compost you can make use of in a tiny terraced back garden!

Rinse the packets before you put them in, put any large amounts of food waste into the black bin for fortnightly collection.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:40 PM, WiseOwl182 said:

One of the reasons for changing the bins was so that they could use a basic refuse collection wagon and not have to have one of the compartmented ones.  This means the bin men are out longer and can collect more as the wagons are bigger.

13 minutes ago, mike84 said:

One of the reasons for changing the bins was so that they could use a basic refuse collection wagon and not have to have one of the compartmented ones.  This means the bin men are out longer and can collect more as the wagons are bigger.

Indeed, but it doesn't matter which colour the bin is. If paper is being collected that day, then my paper being in a larger brown bin shouldn't affect their ability to load it into the wagon. I can cope with knowing what's in my bins without colour coding.

What *will* slow the bin men down though are the mountains of overspill put next to the small blue bins, especially at this time  of year, which they're still obliged to collect.

Edited by WiseOwl182

22 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Indeed, but it doesn't matter which colour the bin is. If paper is being collected that day, then my paper being in a larger brown bin shouldn't affect their ability to load it into the wagon. I can cope with knowing what's in my bins without colour coding.

What *will* slow the bin men down though are the mountains of overspill put next to the small blue bins, especially at this time  of year, which they're still obliged to collect.

Aren't the "lifts" on the wagons are different for the different size bins.

Edited by mike84

Just now, mike84 said:

The "lift" on the wagons are different for the different size bins.

I'm not sure that's correct. I have seen them collecting blue bins previously and one side took the small blue bins, the other side took larger, normal sized black bins that they used to empty the blue boxes into.