Bins they are a'changin

Didn't they burn it?

Ours didn't..it got dumped on the tip on Beighton Road in Woodhouse.. (I suppose it depends how long "long ago" was) :)

Like I say be very interesting to know the amount of rubbish in Sheffield is actually recycled

Thank you for. That info anyone know what sent for recovery 67% mean

https://news.sky.com/story/recycling-options-dwindle-for-councils-hit-by-china-ban-11529147

you'd think we could come up with a more practixcal way of re-using plastic

In the short term, I think more incineration is the way forward, including, where appropriate, the “mining” of existing land fill sites for previously discarded plastics.

Didn't they burn all their rubbish on the Park Hill and Hyde Park flats for their heating system?

I'm struggling with my bins at present. I have no transport to get to the tip. Black bin really overflowing and is due to be collected tomorrow, new brown bin full to the top and not due to be collected until next Tuesday, blue bin half full and not due to be collected for another 3 weeks. We are a family of 6 and I can't seem to keep the rubbish down.

I'm struggling with my bins at present. I have no transport to get to the tip. Black bin really overflowing and is due to be collected tomorrow, new brown bin full to the top and not due to be collected until next Tuesday, blue bin half full and not due to be collected for another 3 weeks. We are a family of 6 and I can't seem to keep the rubbish down.

is any of your black bin waste compostable, or recyclable plastics which can't go in the brown bin? We have a bin bag in the pantry of plastics, which we take to the recycling point when we do supermarket shopping. You can put tins etc in that too.

Do you have a neighbour who might let you use their bins when you're are full?

The council used to let large households have a bigger sized bin, that might be worth asking about.

Edit... Don't forget to crush/squash your bottles and tins before they go in the brown bin too.

In the short term, I think more incineration is the way forward, including, where appropriate, the “mining” of existing land fill sites for previously discarded plastics.

There was a programme on BBC4 the other week about digging up old landfill sites and recycling the metals and plastics.

Having brown bins is confusing some people. The SCC website states what can go in them but no mention of any other recyclable plastics.

In light of recent press reports indicating that plastic waste is being allowed to leak into rivers and oceans rather than be properly disposed of, would it now be better to follow Swindon council's move and black-bin all plastic waste? I say this as an ardent recycler, but I no longer have confidence in the plastics recycling industry.

Yes. One way forwards would be this, still on the four-weekly (blue/black/brown/black basis):

BLUE: glass only.

BROWN: metal and cans only.

BLACK: everything else, for incineration at Bernard Road.