Bins they are a'changin

But ..this is the UK you are talking about. Nothing can happen without somebody somewhere making a profit. The Govt is in thrall to the likes of Carillion, G4S, Stagecoach, Virgin etc. Nothing happens in this country unless there is profit to be made by some shyster like Philip Green or Richard Branson.

I can't think of a single policy in the last ten years that hasn't a) provided a worse service to the public and b) hasn't lined the pockets of corporate spivs.

I think what you are saying is correct. There would be government consultations for years before they decide to put them in supermarkets, it’s a shame because I think people would use them.

---------- Post added 26-08-2018 at 22:03 ----------

Yes they have this in the Netherlands too. Every supermarket has a vending machine you put bottles etc into and you receive a voucher. Very popular in mainland Europe and something we should adopt here.

It’s looks as though we are way behind. Crissie says even China have these vending machines which surprised me. I also think we should adopt them.

Edited by hauxwell

I have turned my redundant blue box into a hedgehog feeding station.

I think what you are saying is correct. There would be government consultations for years before they decide to put them in supermarkets, it’s a shame because I think people would use them.

---------- Post added 26-08-2018 at 22:03 ----------

It’s looks as though we are way behind. Crissie says even China have these vending machines which surprised me. I also think we should adopt them.

Yes, I first saw these in China 8 years ago, there's a strong environmental culture amongst the general publuc despite what popular media tells us. We could learn a lot, if we weren't so convinced that we're better than that.

I have turned my redundant blue box into a hedgehog feeding station.

To which animals are you feeding these poor spiny creatures?

Yes they have this in the Netherlands too. Every supermarket has a vending machine you put bottles etc into and you receive a voucher. Very popular in mainland Europe and something we should adopt here.

They do this in Canada..they get cash back for bottles (glass and plastic) and cans..at least this is the case where my brother lives..

It definitely includes glass and plastic bottles. Not sure about tin cans. From memory I think the bottles have a 25 cent increase to the regular price which is refunded when the bottles are returned.

definitely not tin cans

Yes, I first saw these in China 8 years ago, there's a strong environmental culture amongst the general publuc despite what popular media tells us. We could learn a lot, if we weren't so convinced that we're better than that.

I know very little about China. Not long ago I imagined it to be a primitive country, but I suspect it is now a force to be reckoned with, when it comes to technology.

Three bins in backyard is getting too much. We have lots of flowers, plants, these bins are stupid. Two was OK but three make it all look disgusting now. Sheffield starts to look like a city full of bins.

We've been told to leave our blue bin and blue box out tomorrow whether they're full or not. I presume this heralds the arrival of the brown bin, but do they take the blue box away at the same time? We'd quite like to hang onto ours.

We've been told to leave our blue bin and blue box out tomorrow whether they're full or not. I presume this heralds the arrival of the brown bin, but do they take the blue box away at the same time? We'd quite like to hang onto ours.

If you want to keep it, you may.

Just don't put it out.

If you want to keep it, you may.

Just don't put it out.

Put it out by all means so that they can empty it, they will leave you the empty box because the council will not take them. They advise you to take them to the tip, mine will be put in the brown plastic bin, it's plastic isn't it?

OK, thanks for that. Would be interesting to know what happens to the ones that get taken to the recycling centres - are they recyclable or do they go to landfill, which would be somewhat ironic really.