Bins they are a'changin

We have 2 lorries that come. One does the green bin (food, garden) the other does the burgundy bin. The lorry is split and our burgundy bin has a split top that we put paper, batteries, card in and the rest has glass, plastic in. They tip,the little mini bin that sits inside the burgundy in to a bin hooked on the side or the lorry. Every so often they tip this in and it is sorted in a different section in the lorry. We have to put batteries in separate clear bag on top and this is collected separately.

Some people on here would have a field day complaining about having to do all that work sorting out batteries etc! But the reality is that this is how we as a society should be approaching recycling our waste. We generate far more waste now than we did in years gone by, and we should adopt some responsibility for helping to deal with it.

I spent some time living in the Far East, our apartments had a communal waste area where we could sort our waste into 14 different categories: paper, glass, food, light bulbs, batteries, polystyrene, plastic etc etc. It wasn't viewed as a chore, the people's attitude was rather that they were helping the recycling process and keeping waste and litter levels low.

Some people on here would have a field day complaining about having to do all that work sorting out batteries etc! But the reality is that this is how we as a society should be approaching recycling our waste. We generate far more waste now than we did in years gone by, and we should adopt some responsibility for helping to deal with it.

I spent some time living in the Far East, our apartments had a communal waste area where we could sort our waste into 14 different categories: paper, glass, food, light bulbs, batteries, polystyrene, plastic etc etc. It wasn't viewed as a chore, the people's attitude was rather that they were helping the recycling process and keeping waste and litter levels low.

The companies who sell stuff should take more responsibility with packaging..

The companies who sell stuff should take more responsibility with packaging..

I fully agree, but that shouldn't preclude us from wanting to play a part as well.

On a slight tangent, my personal pet hate is the amount of chewing gum on our pavements.

In the sophisticated utopia of north east Derbyshire they empty the green (garden and food waste) and red bins (recyclable glass, tins etc) on the same day.

That concept might just blow a few minds in Sheffield if this thread is anything to go by!

Don't know about that but they do, at the moment, manage to empty a blue box and a blue bin at the same time and manage to empty each into the appropriate part of the lorry. This requires quite some sophistication as some blue boxes will contain paper and card whilst others will contain plastics and glass. The blue bins will contain plastics and glass whilst others will contain paper and card.

Used to have a green bin for garden waste which had been stated to be self financing and may in fact make profit but that is now charged for.

Our brown bin was delivered this morning. There’s no leaflet attached to it or anything been posted through the letter box!!!

So when to use it from is a complete mystery!

Our brown bin was delivered this morning. There’s no leaflet attached to it or anything been posted through the letter box!!!

So when to use it from is a complete mystery!

I had a leaflet through the other day that said to continue using the blue bin/box as usual until you get a sticker on the bin telling you to switch to the brown one from next collection.

I had a leaflet through the other day that said to continue using the blue bin/box as usual until you get a sticker on the bin telling you to switch to the brown one from next collection.

Thanks for that whiteowl.

I looked on SCC website it says I should receive leaflet with the bin. Hmmmm.

At least we're now getting rid of the blue boxes with the stupid fabric covers.

Every other week when there's been more than mild breeze there's been paper rubbish blowing around where the covers were missing or damaged.

We might even start putting paper in the recycling bin now.

we are getting our brown bins in sept or oct In s8 area,just got leaflet,i hope this doesn't lead to monthly black bins,great idea just another bin to take out.

I got my brown bin a couple of weeks ago and it's exactly the same size as the black bin. I'll wheel it through the back gate diligently every month with three or four milk cartons and a washing up liquid bottle in-perhaps every couple of months the cordial bottle my granddaughter empties will join in. I've asked Veolia, via email, to collect the 2 damaged blue boxes they left me with but not had a reply

You have a collection for batteries? Wow! We don’t have food waste collections either, garden waste is only if you pay extra... it’s time the government imposed national standards for waste recycling, get some consistency!

Yes but they have to be in a clear bag visible on top of the newspaper/magazine/junk mail section

We have 2 lorries that come. One does the green bin (food, garden) the other does the burgundy bin. The lorry is split and our burgundy bin has a split top that we put paper, batteries, card in and the rest has glass, plastic in. They tip,the little mini bin that sits inside the burgundy in to a bin hooked on the side or the lorry. Every so often they tip this in and it is sorted in a different section in the lorry. We have to put batteries in separate clear bag on top and this is collected separately.

Batteries and paper in the same bin? I once put a pp3 in my pocket which shorted out on some keys and started smoldering and i started doing a native north American rain dance, much to the merriment of my associates..... recipe for disaster that one.

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 23:25 ----------

Apologies if already said but, i live in terraced housing and like us most of our neighbors don,t generate much cardboard/ paper and if the powers at be had done a little research they would know this. Most generally don't put out the blue box just the wheelybin with cans and bottles (yeah ok, <removed> Heads).

We do take the clean paper stuff to the supermarket and post it through the appropriate letter box on our frequent visits for essential vittals, better than blowing all around the street as ends up being the usual case.

So logic to me - Existing blue bin for wino stuff and odd pickled onion jars and .. then ask if a new bin for paper is required, if like most of my neighbors the answer is no then somebody somewhere and hopefully the planet is just a little bit better off by the new plastic not being made, distributed and subsequently being a new home for river don trout.

---------- Post added 15-08-2018 at 23:27 ----------

Yes but they have to be in a clear bag visible on top of the newspaper/magazine/junk mail section

Sorry i started posting before this reply, it takes me a while to type these days

Edited by nikki-red