Bins they are a'changin

I am in Whitwell which is Derbyshire, we have 3 bins already. Black for general waste, burgundy for anything recycling (cans, plastic, card, paper, batteries) and a green one for garden waste and cooked and raw food waste. Can’t believe sheffield don’t have this already. We had it for years! They don’t collect the garden/food waste November until March and it’s not a problem.

Well I will only be recycling 2 weeks out of the 4. My blue bin for bottles, tins and plastic is full every 2 weeks!

I am in Whitwell which is Derbyshire, we have 3 bins already. Black for general waste, burgundy for anything recycling (cans, plastic, card, paper, batteries) and a green one for garden waste and cooked and raw food waste. Can’t believe sheffield don’t have this already. We had it for years! They don’t collect the garden/food waste November until March and it’s not a problem.

Indeed, it's easy peasy I'm not sure where the confusion and worry comes from. I know Sheffield folk don't like change but it's 3 bins!

Sounds like you've got a forward thinking council , unlike this one here which Kowtows to Veolia and Amey :rant:

I fail to see what the problem is.Most people put what they want in the bottom half of any coloured bin and then the correct stuff on the top.

Sounds like you've got a forward thinking council , unlike this one here which Kowtows to Veolia and Amey :rant:

And that comes as a surprise seeing how much they kowtow to Amey, even to the extent of residents being forced to show ID papers?

I have FIVE bins. Two Black, two blue and a brown.

The black is for general waste, the blue is for recycling and the brown for garden waste. We don't need to sort out the recycling. It just goes into the blue bin. The black is collected every fortnight and the blue and brown bins are collected in between.

This is what it should be like.

Why have some people become so lazy, wasteful and inconsiderate.

People used to spend a great deal of time and effort separating sorting and recycling their waste. In many areas kerbside collection was always the norm.

We create far more waste than we used to, in part because of our actions.

If you buy something (including packaging) it is your responsibility to dispose of it appropriately.

If you want a personal disposal service then organise it yourself or pay somebody to do it. Do not expect me to do it for you.

The Council will help you deal with it, but it is not a personal service and the Council are answerable to the laws of the land. The Council charge- help reduce minimize those charges.

If your disability is such that you need help, I will gladly support extra funding.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

This sounds like a good idea. The blue boxes were obviously no good from day one and should never have been introduced: not big enough, when full they are difficult to move for some people, silly 'lid'/cover blows off every week or eventually rips so you give up ordering new ones, when Veolia empty them into the bin to go in the lorry it blows all over the street and they don't pick it up. Brown bins will be much bigger so you can fit more in. Tins of mackerel etc might be a bit whiffy after 4 weeks in the sunshine though.

The blue bin for paper and card won't be big enough. But then I often have to drive to the remaining recycling bins at supermarkets to get shut of cardboard packaging. So not much change there.

Not that long ago there wasn't any doorstep recycling and those of us that gave a monkey's back then used to take loads of carrier bags full of recycling to the supermarket bins. It's better now, but not as good as it could be yet.

Edited by Bilge

Probably not , its not the "correct" sort of plastic . They are still not wanting yoghurt pots , butter cartons etc . Other cities seem to do this but not here :confused:

They should take all plastics, even if they don't recycle them here they would soon have enough to ship to a council that does recycle them. It is same with aerosol cans Sheffield don't recycle but they do in Leeds.

Well I will only be recycling 2 weeks out of the 4. My blue bin for bottles, tins and plastic is full every 2 weeks!

But the new brown bin will be bigger, same as the black bins

But the new brown bin will be bigger, same as the black bins

Yes but which black bin, there are two different sizes that I know of.

Edited by iansheff