Bins they are a'changin

So you are happy to move the bin to the pavement even though bin men get paid hansomly to move the bin two yards from the pavement to a little machine.

I remember back in the day when bin men was real bin men and they carried the metal bin from your back yard to the van and back again. Now they get paid a lot more and do a lot less.

And they carried the full bins on their shoulders. Real grafters not like this bunch of fairies these days.The other day I saw a pizza box fall onto the floor from a black bin as they were emptying it into the back of the wagon the bin man just looked at it and left it on the floor and just walked off. Probably too lazy or it was too heavy for him to pick up. :gag: Oh and yes I picked it up and chucked it in the bin.

Edited by PRESLEY

Have read the official council link,can someone advise if the £750000 is a direct saving to SCC or is it a saving to Veolia?

Have read the official council link,can someone advise if the £750000 is a direct saving to SCC or is it a saving to Veolia?

Its not clear is it. I know where the saving comes from ie not needing to buy new vehicles that have been designed to take the boxes. However I am unsure, and I'm sure they will never tell us, who gets the saving.

We use a smaller capacity black bin because we manage not to generate enough waste for the normal size. We use the big blue bin for paper and the small blue crate for bottles etc.

I don't mind a new bin, in principle. My problem is that there is no room around our terraced house for another bin. I don't know where we're going to put it.

What I want is a brown crate. Or, what would happen if, instead of putting out a large brown bin, I put out a small blue crate instead?

Totally agree . We have no where to put another bin . Hopefully they will make a slimmer brown bin . Only the blue box gets full at our house with all the useless paper that gets pushed through the letter box .

Its not clear is it. I know where the saving comes from ie not needing to buy new vehicles that have been designed to take the boxes. However I am unsure, and I'm sure they will never tell us, who gets the saving.

Did the wagons take the boxes? I have only ever seen the guy walk down the road with a bin and empty the blue box into the bin then put the bin on the wagon.

So you are happy to move the bin to the pavement even though bin men get paid hansomly to move the bin two yards from the pavement to a little machine.

I remember back in the day when bin men was real bin men and they carried the metal bin from your back yard to the van and back again. Now they get paid a lot more and do a lot less.

More than happy, it's not exactly a hardship is it. :roll:

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:19 ----------

stupid idea again by council , sure most would like a green bin for garden waste perhaps

There's a large proportion of Sheffield that don't have gardens.

You can have a green bin though if you pay for it.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:23 ----------

They probably realise that people may be more inclined to use a bin rather than a box. Since I got the box I havent used it once. It's too much of a faff.

Yes, a huge faff to drop paper into an open box.

Well worth the environmental cost of not bothering... What exactly is the problem, it's too low, too easy, you don't have to lift a lid?

Perhaps they've realised that half the population of Sheffield are selfish, environment hating idiots who can't deal with a box :roll:

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:25 ----------

I’ve also never used the blue box. This new idea seems even more confusing.:huh:

What is wrong with you people? :rant:

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:27 ----------

Did the wagons take the boxes? I have only ever seen the guy walk down the road with a bin and empty the blue box into the bin then put the bin on the wagon.

The wagon had to keep blue bin and blue box waste separate didn't it.

That won't be necessary if only 1 type is collected.

You buy the products which come in packaging, why should you not make what is a trivial effort for it to be disposed of properly?

But I do dispose of my rubbish properly, it goes into the bin. If Veolia want then they can separate it after collection and recoup the rewards that way, or if they wish just burn it.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:27 ----------

The wagon had to keep blue bin and blue box waste separate didn't it.

That won't be necessary if only 1 type is collected.

Yes but I never saw the box being emptied apart from into a wheelie bin then put on the wagon. The way I read the other post was that the box somehow was emptied into the wagon not emptied into a bin then emptied.

Edited by iansheff

No, I think you're correct, the box was emptied into a bin (multiple boxes I guess) then finally emptied into the wagon, which had to have 2 separate compartments, that's what won't be required in the future.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:16 ----------

But I do dispose of my rubbish properly, it goes into the bin. If Veolia want then they can separate it after collection and recoup the rewards that way, or if they wish just burn it.

So you don't bother to separate out what could be recycled and knowing that no-one else will you just let it go to the landfill, damaging the environment by your laziness.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:23 ----------

Yes, a huge faff to drop paper into an open box.

Well worth the environmental cost of not bothering... .

Exactly what environmental cost would that be? Recycling paper is very environmentally unfriendly and it is better off being burnt. It cost to transport it, it costs to treat it with nasty environmentally unfriendly chemicals, and that can only be done a very limited amount of time. I believe also that in a post a while ago about recycling you also agreed that paper would be better off burnt for energy.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 19:25 ----------

What is wrong with you people? :rant:

Nothing, its a matter of choice and as of yet not compulsory.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:23 ----------

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 20:16 ----------

So you don't bother to separate out what could be recycled and knowing that no-one else will you just let it go to the landfill, damaging the environment by your laziness.

But it does not go to landfill as it gets burnt for energy. One of the reasons Veolia want to increase the waste it takes in as the incinerator was built overcapacity and needs extra to make it efficient. A lot of metals are also recovered after incineration. Plus.. just to add.. I have very little to recycle as I don't use much that can be recycled as I shop wisely and not lazily.

Edited by apelike

It's a matter of choice yes, and that's why I ask what's wrong with you. Choosing to not recycle is pathological, to a small degree, it's a rejection of social responsibility. You probably think you're sticking the finger up at 'the man', but in reality you're sticking it up at everyone with a conscience and all the future generations who have to deal with your crap.

Re:paper and burning

http://www.isonomia.co.uk/?p=4972

It appears to be a myth that it's better burnt, perpetuated by the tabloid press.

It's a matter of choice yes, and that's why I ask what's wrong with you. Choosing to not recycle is pathological, to a small degree, it's a rejection of social responsibility.

Nothing is wrong with me, what is wrong is your attitude. :) The social responsibility is on the manufacturers and not the consumer as that is just passing the buck. Cars pollute and everybody knows that and yet they still buy and use them. Does that then mean the drivers of those cars are somehow pathological idiots who reject their social responsibility.. according to you?

You probably think you're sticking the finger up at 'the man', but in reality you're sticking it up at everyone with a conscience and all the future generations who have to deal with your crap.

No not at all, as stated I buy very little that needs recycling and if you had a conscience so would you. You are responsible for your actions not mine.

Re:paper and burning

http://www.isonomia.co.uk/?p=4972

It appears to be a myth that it's better burnt, perpetuated by the tabloid press.

Now have a look down at the "Complex Numbers" bit and tell me how that applies to Sheffield and the local Veolia incinerator. As you can make out incineration in that scenario is much better than recycling it. Not so much of a myth now is it!