Bins they are a'changin

So you are happy to move the bin to the pavement even though bin men get paid hansomly to move the bin two yards from the pavement to a little machine.

I remember back in the day when bin men was real bin men and they carried the metal bin from your back yard to the van and back again. Now they get paid a lot more and do a lot less.

Wow, and I thought I was a bit much for some people. Congrats.

This is a great idea btw, works in Lancashire where my folks live. By the sounds of things some Sheffield folk might be too thick to work out when to put the bin aaaaaaart and might resort to burning it in their houses or something. We can only hope, I suppose. Make sure you lock the doors and throw the keys out the window first though. :hihi::hihi:

Try developing a social conscience. Lots of people find it very helpful.

A social conscience has nothing much to do with recycling as it is profit lead. Its also very questionable as to whether it benefits anyone but the recycling companies.

Try developing a social conscience. Lots of people find it very helpful.

But that would require a modicum of intelligence which is sadly lacking in some areas of the city - apparently :rolleyes:

i hope the brown bins are bigger than the blue ones

The pictures of the brown bins in the link provided make them appear to be the same size as our current black bins which is good. Our current blue bin for plastic gets filled way before collection day, meaning the surplus goes in the black bin.

stupid idea again by council , sure most would like a green bin for garden waste perhaps

We should be able to recycle yogurt pots, margarine tubs ect. like you can with a lot of other councils.

Also what about a food waste recycling?

What reward will our local council offer for me to be an unpaid sorter for a foreign recycling company?

Edited by crookes sid

I remember back in the day when bin men was real bin men and they carried the metal bin from your back yard to the van and back again. Now they get paid a lot more and do a lot less.

I worked on the bins in Stocksbridge 73/74 - we had 2 teams - driver plus 4 men. Not many worked past their mid 30's - back gave in.

Seems today we have a driver plus one - would reckon they empty many times the bins we did.

As for pay we got £50 pw top line - beer was 15p a pint, rents about £4 pw.

What wages do binmen get these days?

Edited by Longcol

I don’t understand how the proposed change will save money. The recycling lorry will still visit every 2 weeks, but will collect different items on each visit. So same vehicles, same number of journeys... plus the cost of manufacturing and distributing all the new brown bins (financial cost and environmental cost), it doesn’t add up to me! Oh, and my blue bin is full after 2 weeks, so any paper or card from weeks 3 and 4 will end up in the black bin.

We use a smaller capacity black bin because we manage not to generate enough waste for the normal size. We use the big blue bin for paper and the small blue crate for bottles etc.

I don't mind a new bin, in principle. My problem is that there is no room around our terraced house for another bin. I don't know where we're going to put it.

What I want is a brown crate. Or, what would happen if, instead of putting out a large brown bin, I put out a small blue crate instead?

I don’t understand how the proposed change will save money. The recycling lorry will still visit every 2 weeks, but will collect different items on each visit. So same vehicles, same number of journeys... plus the cost of manufacturing and distributing all the new brown bins (financial cost and environmental cost), it doesn’t add up to me! Oh, and my blue bin is full after 2 weeks, so any paper or card from weeks 3 and 4 will end up in the black bin.

I feel the same: I can't get my head round this at all. It's essentially no more than replacing the blue box with a bin but not collecting as frequently. How is this (in their words) making it easier for me to recycle? It seems to be the exact opposite!

Have they explained the rationale behind this change? They're still collecting the same stuff, so why has a joint collection of cans/paper become an issue for them such that it needs to be split into separate collections? How does it save money??

It's an unnecessary complication, and, as far as I can see, will just mean that there will be (even) more people who dump everything in the black bin.

They probably realise that people may be more inclined to use a bin rather than a box. Since I got the box I havent used it once. It's too much of a faff.