S c c to introduce red line routes

The builders who are building the school directly opposite my place, (been building it since Sept/Oct 2017) ALL parked on the pavements around here, preventing prams and wheelchairs from passing...

they even had the cheek to put cones out over-night, to stop residents parking out-side their own properties! :(

What makes it worse, is they have a car park specifically for the site staff, yet they STILL park allover the pavement.

Complain to the site manager..we had a similar issue across the road from the end of our lane...contractors' cars parked all over the place making it nigh on impossible to get onto the road..I had a word with the man in charge of the site and all the bad parking stopped.....

Two bus lanes in the city generated more than £200,000 each last year, nine made at least £100,000 and all 16 between them earned Sheffield Council close to £1.5m

REVEALED: The bus lanes in Sheffield raking in more than £200,000 a year

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/revealed-the-bus-lanes-in-sheffield-raking-in-more-than-200-000-a-year-1-8460019

And yet , even faced with evidence like this , the council will still deny they are anti car.

It could be a complete waste of time without the right balance of education, engineering and enforcement

From a parent's perspective this seems a bit draconian and short sighted. Depending on what radius around the school are going to be restricted.

I would love to be able to avoid having to drop off my kids at school by car, I really would. At the moment walking/cycling are not feasible due to safety issues. There is no suitable bus service. Dropping them off by car is the only option available to me.

All the available spaces in the vicinity of their schools are already full most mornings. Usually I manage to find somewhere, but I admit that *occasionally* I do stop on a double yellow for ~90 seconds (not right outside school and hopefully without causing anyone inconvenience). But only because I really can see no other solution.

I'm all for enforcing the existing restrictions in the immediate vicinity of the school, but a bit of consideration for those who have no other option would be good.

Apart from my very first day as a four year old, when my mother walked me to school, I wonder how I managed to go the whole of my schooldays without once being taken there.

It was shanks's pony until we moved to the other side of the city and then it was two buses. Very unsafe, lol.

How many of these vans do they have? Surely if they have a blitz on several of the schools at the same time for a week or so people might get the message. Or why not put some vans there that look like the real thing, after all cameras etc are not about making money so they tell us but to educate people into driving sensibly. If people see a high profile vehicle they are unlikely to park where they shouldn't unless they are idiots.

They are only running one camera van. It is marked as a Council vehicle and it does visit several schools a day.

They drive past with the van and it records contraventions on video.

People aren't stupid and will very quickly realise if you are putting out dummy vehicles. You also need staff to drive them, which is costly.

---------- Post added 17-07-2018 at 07:55 ----------

It could be a complete waste of time without the right balance of education, engineering and enforcement

Drivers who've passed a driving test should be familiar with the restrictions in common use in the UK, so no "education" should be necessary.

The schools run campaigns to try to get drivers to park sensibly, there are banners outside several.

All Council schemes go through a rigorous road safety audit process.

Enforcement is expensive. There are around 130 educational establishments in the city, but they are only busy for a very short period morning and afternoon. Its impossible to put enough staff resources in the field to enforce all of them regularly. There are only circa 40 enforcement officers to cover the whole city on three shifts.

Two bus lanes in the city generated more than £200,000 each last year, nine made at least £100,000 and all 16 between them earned Sheffield Council close to £1.5m

REVEALED: The bus lanes in Sheffield raking in more than £200,000 a year

https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/revealed-the-bus-lanes-in-sheffield-raking-in-more-than-200-000-a-year-1-8460019

Great stuff. They should do more of this. Generating income to support local services and hopefully to improve transport infrastructure. what's not to like especially if its paid for by certain motorists who think the road was built just for them.

Why not introduce head cameras to lollipop persons or fix one to the lollipop sign.lollipop person just has to look at or point sign at incorrect parking,then give cameras to police to follow up later.

Guest makapaka
Great stuff. They should do more of this. Generating income to support local services and hopefully to improve transport infrastructure. what's not to like especially if its paid for by certain motorists who think the road was built just for them.

I agree. You don’t have to be fined. Completely in the drivers control.

Why not introduce head cameras to lollipop persons or fix one to the lollipop sign.lollipop person just has to look at or point sign at incorrect parking,then give cameras to police to follow up later.

You can't enforce with devices like that. The equipment has to be type approved by the government and be fully certified for that use.

Police don't normally enforce parking contraventions (other than obstruction). Councils generally do that

And yet , even faced with evidence like this , the council will still deny they are anti car.

That evidence shows that there are enough arrogant/stupid drivers in Sheffield to generate that income.

The builders who are building the school directly opposite my place, (been building it since Sept/Oct 2017) ALL parked on the pavements around here, preventing prams and wheelchairs from passing...

they even had the cheek to put cones out over-night, to stop residents parking out-side their own properties! :(

What makes it worse, is they have a car park specifically for the site staff, yet they STILL park allover the pavement.

Move the cones.

That evidence would suggest that the council are not anti-car, they're anti-idiot.