S c c to introduce red line routes

As far as I understand it, red routes in other cities are often enforced by camera, rather than relying on a person to be present to witness a breaking of the law.

As red routes are being implemented here, I wonder if that means that there's a legal difference in how routes may be monitored and enforced, between yellow zigzags and red routes?

Someone operating a camera and viewing footage from several routes from a remote location would be much harder to ignore or avoid, and it wouldn't take long for people to understand that the red routes actually do mean that you can't stop except when in a queue of traffic.

I was thinking that too. Makes sense to use cameras, record footage, and have someone send out tickets in the post for violations.

Guest busdriver1
If or when???? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Next front on the councils war against the motorist???

I see it as a war against inconsiderate motorists, yet again sensible people have nothing to fear.

As far as I understand it, red routes in other cities are often enforced by camera, rather than relying on a person to be present to witness a breaking of the law.

As red routes are being implemented here, I wonder if that means that there's a legal difference in how routes may be monitored and enforced, between yellow zigzags and red routes?

Councils can only enforce a very limited number of parking contraventions by camera:

• Red Routes
  • Bus Stop Clearways
  • School Entrance Markings

Others like double / single yellow lines, clearways, no waiting / no loading, zig-zags, pay and display bays, permit bays, loading bays etc etc can only be enforced on foot by a civil enforcement officer.

They used to be able to enforce more by camera, but the government (Eric Pickles) changed the legislation to stop them.

---------- Post added 14-07-2018 at 10:36 ----------

If the route is extended which is what Planner1 seems to suggest then clearly local residents will lose their on street parking and will indeed have to suffer.

All because it's easier to enforce by camera car than by parking warden.

The red route that is being installed is very limited in scale and is just being done to prevent drivers picking up and dropping off near school entrances. No residential parking is affected. It's a specific solution to a particular problem.

There are no current plans for a widespread roll out of red routes in Sheffield. But more might appear, if they are the right solution to a problem.

Red routes have only recently become available to Councils outside London following a change in government traffic signing regulations. Previously Councils had to apply for specific approval from Department for Transport.

When introducing red routes special consideration has to be given to residential and business parking and loading needs and appropriate provision made.

There are corridors in Sheffield that might benefit from a red route. The 24 hour clearways that don't have any roadmarkings seem to cause confusion for some drivers, particularly where the restriction extends up side roads (like in Hillsborough). Replacing them with double red lines might improve understanding and compliance.

Does it extend further than the yellow zigzags and double yellow lines that it's replacing?

I agree that if there are 24 hour clearways (is that for the 24 hr trams we don't have) then red lining might make it a bit more clear to some drivers.

Does it extend further than the yellow zigzags and double yellow lines that it's replacing?

I agree that if there are 24 hour clearways (is that for the 24 hr trams we don't have) then red lining might make it a bit more clear to some drivers.

The school at that location is expanding and has two new entrances so there were not any school zig zags there.

Trams start at 5am and run till about 1am. Do you think allowing drivers to park on tram routes between 1am and 5am would be useful then?

Or is it simply better to send out a consistent message that you can't park on that route.

Edited by Planner1

Im all for it. I bet at least 50% of commuting parents live within a 1.5 mile radius of school. WALK!

Im all for it. I bet at least 50% of commuting parents live within a 1.5 mile radius of school. WALK!

Many do. But not everyone has this option. See my earlier post. I'm all for encouraging active travel and preventing dangerous parking but there needs to be *somewhere* where kids can be safely dropped off.

Sheffield council are to start introducing red line routes in an attempt to stop selfish parents parking right outside schools starting with totley .will drivers take any notice or not ?

Red routes in places like the London North Circular are generally well obeyed. Prince of Wales Road is suitable for them because they'd be accepted as common sense at all times.

I often drive along Baslow Road through Totley at school arrival times and parking is indeed bad. Residents' cars can cause congestion at other times too but good manners uually apply and traffic flows. I'm not sure where the displaced parent's cars can park more safely once they're banned but it needs to be somewhere more safe than at present.

Red lines mean no stopping, but when they're qualified by specific hours and are for short stetches they are more likely to be abused. Enforcement will be very necessary. In practice how much more effective will unenforced red lines be compared with unenforced yellow lines? Remote cameras are needed, not another vehicle with camera to add to the congestion.

The school at that location is expanding and has two new entrances so there were not any school zig zags there.

Trams start at 5am and run till about 1am. Do you think allowing drivers to park on tram routes between 1am and 5am would be useful then?

Or is it simply better to send out a consistent message that you can't park on that route.

You do have a point there, the times when parking would be possible are useless, so 24 hrs is just easier.

---------- Post added 14-07-2018 at 17:38 ----------

That's quite a walk to be honest. 30 mins there, 30 mins back, and then get in the car to go to work?

500 metres, less of an excuse, and parking right up at the school, no excuse, park 200 metres away and walk a little at least.

From a young age (7?) to 12, I used to walk unaccompanied 0.7km to school; from 12 to 18, it was 2.1km. My parents didn't own a car.

From a young age (7?) to 12, I used to walk unaccompanied 0.7km to school; from 12 to 18, it was 2.1km. My parents didn't own a car.

Dave I fully agree, from aged 11/12 I caught the bus from Gleadless Town End to Pond St then walked through town to St Vincent's, Solly St. Then moved to St Paul's now All Saints. Then I got off the bus on Queens Rd and along with many others WALKED yes actually WALKED up Granville Rd. It was all normal to us and pupils at other schools did the same. No school buses for us. Today's pampered little darlings would go into melt down if they had to do the same.

Enforcement will be very necessary. In practice how much more effective will unenforced red lines be compared with unenforced yellow lines? Remote cameras are needed, not another vehicle with camera to add to the congestion.

but how much will all these enforcement camera's cost to install, maintain and staff???

and as a tax payer are you happy with that amount of money being spent enforcing parking - could it be better spent elsewhere???