Remember the Clothing grant

During the war some families got a sort of cheque to go and buy clothes with around whitsontide time,can anybody be more specific.

I think you are talking about the Banners Cheques that you could get for £20 & you paid back £21 to the collector who came round every week,similar to the Wiggies(wigfalls) man. Only at christmas & holiday times no one was ever in to pay him.They were but they would not answer the door. Another two shops were Samuels on Attercliffe Rd.,just below the bank on Staniforth Rd. corner & Tupholmes on Pitsmoor Rd. opposite the Pitsmoor club.

I can't believe I was only talking about this last week, when parents took their kids to the Eddie Grant Shop, Wasn't it at the top of West Street, in Sheffield, big building that you went down stairs, and they were loads of rails of coats, and shoes.

I remember as a kid I had a strop and said I wouldn't wear the Parker coat that they wanted to give me.

I wore the gear too got fitted out in Leopold Street education offices. IT WAS CRAP STUFF

If i remember correctly;

You used to be able to get clothing grants because the council agreed with schools having a compulsery school uniform.

This changed because the council decided that school uniform should not be compulsory but up to each individual school if they wanted one; that got the council out of having to pay the grant.

Also Derbyshire had the clothing grant after Sheffield didn't, as they used to be able to go into some store in Crystal Peaks with the vouchers given to them by Derbyshire council ( Not shopper check etc ; there was a special button on the till for Local Authority vouchers)

I didn't get one but loved going with someone I knew to collect her stuff.

Denise

I can't believe I was only talking about this last week, when parents took their kids to the Eddie Grant Shop, Wasn't it at the top of West Street, in Sheffield, big building that you went down stairs, and they were loads of rails of coats, and shoes.

I remember as a kid I had a strop and said I wouldn't wear the Parker coat that they wanted to give me.

no, it wasn't at the top of west street. It was near the bottom of west street, and was up a little side street, round the back of the education offices, on orchard (lane? place? the little road opposite the Fountain precinct/ Museum pub, coming from Leopold street, anyway)

no, it wasn't at the top of west street. It was near the bottom of west street, and was up a little side street, round the back of the education offices, on orchard (lane? place? the little road opposite the Fountain precinct/ Museum pub, coming from Leopold street, anyway)

Well from what I can remember it was just off Leopold Street, its called something like Leopold Lane. Anyway it was down in the basement where you got all your clothes from. An interesting fact is it was the same building as they used to do hearing tests for children, I remember going every year for one. You know something its going to be turned into flats and accommodation, now that is just spooky. :hihi:

omg eddie grant my worst nightmare at school i used to leave the house eddied up then get changed on the way to school to save the jibes

can anyone remember those daft parker jackets you got with the clothing grant, can anyone remember anything else you could get with the grant:D

you got the blue jeans the brown or black shoes school uniformes were a night mare we used to get ours up near the pig and wistle i remember the parker jackets we got one every year

I'm reliving the jeans with red stitching - the grey marl jogging suit -the pe pumps........! Looking back now, more of us wore them than didn't.

I was the youngest of 7 and got eddy grant and free meals (pauper), I got a pair of Brouges (ha ha) i think they were burgundy and a pair of plimpsols and a Parker with the orange lining and mucky grey fur. Come to think of it what the hell was the fur made out of.:huh:

I got a uniform grant !! we went to the place and told them I was going to Rowlinson and the lady said OH and looked disapointed she said well anything goes there! so I got to choose 3 shirts, 2 skirts,1 pair of trousers, mum didn't like parkers so they dug me a duffle coat out which still fitted me into my 20's it was horrid! and the shoes were like infants horrid, they sadly got stolen when i did games and turned up in my friend bin (where i told her to put them) thankfully the uniform just fell apart and then i wore my own clothes.