Cyclists create more traffic?

Ask stated  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Ask stated

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Because in normal traffic flow the cyclist is a slower moving road user and so the onus ought to be on them to allow the traffic to pass them because otherwise all the traffic potentially ends up traveling in slow procession behind the cyclist.

For the record I'm a work commuting cyclist myself.

Except in reality, traffic can generally overtake safely by just waiting for a brief time until there is space to move well into the opposite carriageway.

Except in reality, traffic can generally overtake safely by just waiting for a brief time until there is space to move well into the opposite carriageway.

If a cyclist was going along, say, Holme Lane, 5 foot from the kerb at around 8am, traffic behind him will not be a able to move into the opposite side of the road to pass him as its usually solidly busy both directions at that time.

If a cyclist was going along, say, Holme Lane, 5 foot from the kerb at around 8am, traffic behind him will not be a able to move into the opposite side of the road to pass him as its usually solidly busy both directions at that time.

At 8am on roads which are "usually solidly busy" the cyclist will be trying to overtake the car which is slowing them down.

At 8am on roads which are "usually solidly busy" the cyclist will be trying to overtake the car which is slowing them down.

If the traffic was at a standstill sure, but generally it flows but can be busy both directions.

Holme Lane, great example.

I cross it at a right angle, but I can see the queuing cars, there's no way a car is faster down Holme Lane in the morning traffic than a cycle is.

And it quite clearly proves that the cars are causing congestion. If they were all replaced by cyclists and bikes then the congestion wouldn't even exist.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 07:41 ----------

you clearly cant read i said on the whole they dont hinder but our hold ups are usually caused by others, of course cars cause holdups but if the road system was better it would be easier.

i call BS on your 40 mins to manc airport unless you were speeding and left from glossop or you were on a motorcyle.

i do Manchester and manchester airport most weeks at best its 1 our 30 from suburbs of Sheffield, i have tried all ways.

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 15:43 ----------

yeah yeah yeah yawn!

Yawn yawn, you're a terrible driver and when given the evidence you're going to ignore it.

I hope you don't kill someone, but you sound like a danger.

It's definitely not 1:30 at best to Manc airport. Takes me 1:10 from Wadsley if I'm going at 0400 as I do several times a year. Admittedly I will break the speed limit a few times.

On my way home today (6.30 p.m.) I kept pace with a taxi all the way from the centre of town to Burngreave. It wasn't the cyclists holding him back, it was the other vehicles and red lights (which I also stopped at, I should point out).

Drivers are quite happy sitting behind another car, I cant see why is it any harder sitting behind a cyclist until it is safe to pass.

Wow, wrong on both counts. Not such a good driver after all.

http://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/passing-distance-west-midlands-police.jpg?itok=tSq05L92

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 10:36 ----------

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/media/1340069/pass-safely-mat.jpg?width=667&height=475

The minimum should be 1m, 1.5m would be better and 2m would be best.

The cycle could of course take the primary position if they wish, but they shouldn't be closer than 75cm to the edge even if not taking the centre of the lane!

Personally I am a great advocate of road safety. Have always been taught that I should give a parked car a minimum of 1 mtr in case someone suddently opens a door without looking, and to give a cyclist the same grace in case they need to swerve to avoid a pothole or similar.However, it would be nice if cyclists gave me the same grace occasionally.

Today on the way into work, a cyclist I passed on Penistone Road (allowing plenty of room) then came passing in between myself and another car whilst we were sat in a queue at traffic lights, clipping my wing mirror and almost taking himself out in the process. Fortunately no real damage was caused, but clearly he had not left me, or the car next door, the same 1 mtr space (there was barely that between us).

I think bad driving / riding happens on both sides.

I think you are probably correct but the consequences of bad driving are far more severe (just look at the road deaths caused) than of bad cycling and yet despite this I'm sure if you counted the number of threads on this forum discussing bad cycling and bad driving you will find far more about bad cycling. Odd that. Its almost like people just want to victimise a minority.

Drivers are quite happy sitting behind another car, I cant see why is it any harder sitting behind a cyclist until it is safe to pass.

I think you've just won this thread!

Personally I am a great advocate of road safety. Have always been taught that I should give a parked car a minimum of 1 mtr in case someone suddently opens a door without looking, and to give a cyclist the same grace in case they need to swerve to avoid a pothole or similar.However, it would be nice if cyclists gave me the same grace occasionally.

Today on the way into work, a cyclist I passed on Penistone Road (allowing plenty of room) then came passing in between myself and another car whilst we were sat in a queue at traffic lights, clipping my wing mirror and almost taking himself out in the process. Fortunately no real damage was caused, but clearly he had not left me, or the car next door, the same 1 mtr space (there was barely that between us).

Seems like an error in filtering, but given how wide the lanes are on Penistone Road, why was the gap so small?

Seems like an error in filtering, but given how wide the lanes are on Penistone Road, why was the gap so small?

If I know there's a cyclist behind me, I move to the right side of the lane as a slow down, so they can filter. Likewise with motorcyclists, but on the opposite side :)