Cyclists create more traffic?

Ask stated  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Ask stated

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

That's not what the highway code says.

That's not what the government's cycle training scheme teaches.

Time to update your ideas of how you should be driving.

not really, driving is a skill getting somewhere in a reasonable time is a priority, cyclists hinder this and as such i give the minimum i consider safe and make good progress.

not really, driving is a skill getting somewhere in a reasonable time is a priority, cyclists hinder this and as such i give the minimum i consider safe and make good progress.

do you also endanger the lives of the drivers who hinder you a lot more?

do you also endanger the lives of the drivers who hinder you a lot more?

i am not endangering cyclists or anyone else, i give parked cars and when overtaking a moving car or Motorcycle the same room. on the whole other car drivers dont hinder traffic cyclists buses and horses do:suspect:

Now you've gone and scared the 3 billy goats

on the whole other car drivers dont hinder traffic cyclists buses and horses do:suspect:

ha ha, so when you're sat in a long queue of cars you aren't hindered by them? If those cars weren't there then you would be able to get to where you are getting a lot quicker. Can't you see how ridiculous what you just said is?

You can only see the few seconds you have to wait to overtake a horse, cyclist, bus but cannot see the massive amount of time you wait because of the huge number of cars (including you) that congest the roads. The few seconds you have to wait makes no difference to your overall journey time but extra minutes you have to wait in queues of cars makes a huge difference.

I drove at 4am to manc airport from sheffield on new years day once, it took me 40 minutes without really breaking any speed limits. Even if I drove with absolute skillfullness and experienced no bikes or horses at a busy time of the day, there is no way I would get to manc airport in that time. No way. you are deluded.

Edited by TimmyR

So you're a bad driver, who doesn't understand that cyclists don't delay you and is willing to risk other people's lives for your desire to get somewhere.

You're exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 13:22 ----------

i am not endangering cyclists or anyone else, i give parked cars and when overtaking a moving car or Motorcycle the same room. on the whole other car drivers dont hinder traffic cyclists buses and horses do:suspect:

If you pass with one foot clearance then you ARE endangering cyclists.

Of course other cars hinder your journey, those are the vehicles taking up the vast majority of the space on the road, they're the ones you're sat behind at traffic lights and junctions, the ones you have to wait for at roundabouts.

ha ha, so when you're sat in a long queue of cars you aren't hindered by them? If those cars weren't there then you would be able to get to where you are getting a lot quicker. Can't you see how ridiculous what you just said is?

You can only see the few seconds you have to wait to overtake a horse, cyclist, bus but cannot see the massive amount of time you wait because of the huge number of cars (including you) that congest the roads. The few seconds you have to wait makes no difference to your overall journey time but extra minutes you have to wait in queues of cars makes a huge difference.

I drove at 4am to manc airport from sheffield on new years day once, it took me 40 minutes without really breaking any speed limits. Even if I drove with absolute skillfullness and experienced no bikes or horses at a busy time of the day, there is no way I would get to manc airport in that time. No way. you are deluded.

you clearly cant read i said on the whole they dont hinder but our hold ups are usually caused by others, of course cars cause holdups but if the road system was better it would be easier.

i call BS on your 40 mins to manc airport unless you were speeding and left from glossop or you were on a motorcyle.

i do Manchester and manchester airport most weeks at best its 1 our 30 from suburbs of Sheffield, i have tried all ways.

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 15:43 ----------

So you're a bad driver, who doesn't understand that cyclists don't delay you and is willing to risk other people's lives for your desire to get somewhere.

You're exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be allowed to drive.

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 13:22 ----------

If you pass with one foot clearance then you ARE endangering cyclists.

Of course other cars hinder your journey, those are the vehicles taking up the vast majority of the space on the road, they're the ones you're sat behind at traffic lights and junctions, the ones you have to wait for at roundabouts.

yeah yeah yeah yawn!

Have you ever been a cyclist yourself?

---------- Post added 12-07-2018 at 18:12 ----------

I've just been away for the weekend in the north of England, saw quite a few blue signs on the roads with diagrams of a 1.5m overtaking distance for a car passing a cyclist. Never seen them before!

I had someone thinking similar a few weeks ago..

They stuffed most of their expensive car into my towbar when I braked because I couldnt get round a cyclist safely. Such a shame.....

If your on your own in the car. your 5 foot from the kerb

can you give me any reason at all why a cyclist on hi own should not also be 5 foot from the kerb?

do you have a greater right to that 5 foot spot your arse is sitting than the guy sitting on the bike in the same spot?

Well he drives everywhere, his arse is probably about 3 ft wide

Well he drives everywhere, his arse is probably about 3 ft wide

I need a keyboard that is proof against coffee.... :)

If your on your own in the car. your 5 foot from the kerb

can you give me any reason at all why a cyclist on hi own should not also be 5 foot from the kerb?

do you have a greater right to that 5 foot spot your arse is sitting than the guy sitting on the bike in the same spot?

Because in normal traffic flow the cyclist is a slower moving road user and so the onus ought to be on them to allow the traffic to pass them because otherwise all the traffic potentially ends up traveling in slow procession behind the cyclist.

For the record I'm a work commuting cyclist myself.