Serial offenders in Sheffield

A fairer society and investment in public services.

and that will do what exactly??? fair?? lifes not fair, haves and have nots its the way the world works.

as for public service investment there would be more to go round if there wasnt so much waste internally and given away in foreign aid!

i dont disagree with what you are saying but wouldnt another way of looking at it be that even the toughest is not really tough and therefore no deterent .... likewise the short sentences are pretty much only an inconvienience to serial offenders so how about longer sentences ... just a thought ...

Surely the toughest sentence is the death sentence? If that doesn't work as a deterrent then what would?

Longer sentences for minor offences would mean you'd need to up the tariff for all offences for system to remain proportionate. Long-term you end up having to build more prisons. Would you be happy with that when we already can't afford the NHS, or care services to look after the young, older or disabled?

Surely the toughest sentence is the death sentence? If that doesn't work as a deterrent then what would?

Longer sentences for minor offences would mean you'd need to up the tariff for all offences for system to remain proportionate. Long-term you end up having to build more prisons. Would you be happy with that when we already can't afford the NHS, or care services to look after the young, older or disabled?

i dont really believe that comparing murderers like for like with young or low level offenders works , a proper, tough sentence could make all the difference during formative years as could it also act as a deterent for the lower level serial offenders currently blighting society , yes we would need more prisons but that would be ofset somewhat with the saving to be made in the criminal justice system not recycling the same people through the courts , money would need to be found , as it also should for the other services you mention but it needs to be spent wisely , currently we are wasting untold millions into a system that is clearly failing , muddying the waters with pointless references to whether or not the death sentence is really a deterent doesnt help the issue , for the record i dont believe that taking someones life as a punishment would have stopped them comitting the crime in the first place as they have clearly lost all reasoning by that stage but it would however prevent them from doing it again ... just a thought

i dont really believe that comparing murderers like for like with young or low level offenders works , a proper, tough sentence could make all the difference during formative years as could it also act as a deterent for the lower level serial offenders currently blighting society , yes we would need more prisons but that would be ofset somewhat with the saving to be made in the criminal justice system not recycling the same people through the courts , money would need to be found , as it also should for the other services you mention but it needs to be spent wisely , currently we are wasting untold millions into a system that is clearly failing , muddying the waters with pointless references to whether or not the death sentence is really a deterent doesnt help the issue , for the record i dont believe that taking someones life as a punishment would have stopped them comitting the crime in the first place as they have clearly lost all reasoning by that stage but it would however prevent them from doing it again ... just a thought

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this approach, favoured by politicians in the 90s works - in fact there's a significant body of evidence to the contrary - unfortunately we live in a society that ignores evidence and largely goes on whoever shouts loudest's opinion.

We hold children responsible for their crimes from 10 years old even when we don't think they're responsible enough to drive (17), vote (18), get married without parents permission (18), drink/smoke (18).

Locking kids up early leads to reoffending. Sorry bit off topic I know.

i dont really believe that comparing murderers like for like with young or low level offenders works , a proper, tough sentence could make all the difference during formative years as could it also act as a deterent

You keep repeating this, but it simply isn't true. That's it, end of your point, nothing to discuss. You are stating something that is factually incorrect, demonstrably so and the rest of your supposition stems from your lack of knowledge about this.

I presume the advocates of hanging people on a "three crimes and you're out" basis are prepared for the slaughter of thousands of speeding motorists who treat fines as a fee.

I presume the advocates of hanging people on a "three crimes and you're out" basis are prepared for the slaughter of thousands of speeding motorists who treat fines as a fee.

Doubt it, they fall into the category of 'laws I don't want upholding' or 'stealth taxes by councils/police'

You keep repeating this, but it simply isn't true. That's it, end of your point, nothing to discuss. You are stating something that is factually incorrect, demonstrably so and the rest of your supposition stems from your lack of knowledge about this.

i wasnt going to bother with a reply as clearly you are right about everything and no one else can have a different point of view but here goes , firstly what am i repeating ... i expressed an opinion in a discussion with eccybeach , didnt sate any facts so cannot be factually incorrect and even if i had then there are always two sets of "facts" those that are for and those that are against , any number of studies will only come up with views based on their parameters , whislt some may remain objective others have a preferable outcome before they are done ,however by listening to both sides and re evaluating pre concieved thoughts sometimes the results may actually be helpful , people like yourself are part of the problem , high and mighty and cannot possibly be wrong , i dont pretend to have all of the answers and fully accept that the system is not working and hasnt for a long time , knowledge is a wonderful thing but people who think thay know best tend to know nothing at all , have a nice day ta ta

Surely something needs to be done to reassure people of Sheffield and tackle thugs like this. This guy has been done for possession of a knife three times and threatened to kill someone yet offered a suspended sentence. This is surely a joke sentence. What planet are these judges on?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/suspended-sentence-for-sheffield-man-who-threatened-stranger-with-knife-and-told-him-i-m-going-to-kill-you-1-9278725

Can't read the article. It won't display without me registering for the site. No thanks!

Surely something needs to be done to reassure people of Sheffield and tackle thugs like this. This guy has been done for possession of a knife three times and threatened to kill someone yet offered a suspended sentence. This is surely a joke sentence. What planet are these judges on?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/suspended-sentence-for-sheffield-man-who-threatened-stranger-with-knife-and-told-him-i-m-going-to-kill-you-1-9278725

The judges live a world away from what we have to put up with on our doorstep. If it was happening where they lived they would be dishing out tougher sentences

Presumably you'd say that without actually reading about the subject or indeed knowing anything about it at all.

Its all about the internet in your world :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: