Serial offenders in Sheffield

You're wrong in every possible way.

OK then what is the answer?

OK then what is the answer?

A fairer society and investment in public services.

I would say the biggest factor on reoffending is the fact that punishment isnt severe enough. People think its to easy so therefore there is no deterrent to not reoffend.

Presumably you'd say that without actually reading about the subject or indeed knowing anything about it at all.

A combination of the chances of being caught and the sentences are key factors.

In many case of course the short sentences and guaranteed parole are no deterrence.

Ask yourself how many times do these people have to serve the remainder of the previous sentence when rearrested.

Whatever happened to the idea of 3 strikes.....

Finally if these guys are behind bars then in most cases they are unable to commit further offenses

So I agree with II 49 although to save the cost of the injection perhaps hanging

I don't think 'kill the poor' would play well at elections somehow.

---------- Post added 07-07-2018 at 09:29 ----------

Some people (and perhaps, judging by what is said about him, this chap is one of them) simply won't ever change.

Many more will however, given a little help. Do you know what the single biggest factor is that has an impact on reoffending?

Please point out where I ever said ‘kill the poor’, those words were never uttered by me. What I suggest is that we eradicate law breaking vermin who have absolutely no respect for society or anyone in it. Are you seriously telling me you want these kind of people around? If they do nothing but cause misery, fear and upset why would anyone fight their corner?

Death Wish SF style?

SF style, blimey, how long does it take to hug a criminal to death.

Presumably you'd say that without actually reading about the subject or indeed knowing anything about it at all.

Well I do know fear is a good deterrent. It seems these criminals dont fear prison that's why they re offend. Why else would they want to make peoples lives a misery and risk getting sent back there.

If that were true then countries with the death penalty for drug smuggling would have the lowest rates right?

And there'd be a clear correlation between changing the guidelines for sentences and changes in the rates of crimes?

And US states (neighbouring) which have different penalties for the same crimes would have different levels of those crimes?

Have a read, find out instead of guessing.

I don't think 'kill the poor' would play well at elections somehow.

and

A fairer society and investment in public services.

Whilst I agree that society is unfair/weighted and discriminatory

I think you are insulting the majority of 'poor' people who do not commit crime. Even the homeless/beggars/ people outside the system are not all commiting crime by a long stretch. and when they are bill arrears and occasiona petty shoplifting are crimes of poverety Certainly not beating people up repeatedly like the man thread was started about.

Edited by mort

The idea of having services in the city centre is they are easily accessible and many of the services such as the Archer project are partly staffed by ex service users. The Archer project also co-ordinates the Big Issue sellers in the city. Whilst I am as concerned as anyone else about the number of beggars, rough sleepers etc. in the city centre I don't know the answer. Lovely sunny weather on Saturday and 4 of the seats outside Boots occupied by sleepers

I can't speak confidently about adult re-offending but youth re-offending rates are highest amongst those sent to youth offending institutes - the toughest of the three types of custody settings young people can be sent to. That would suggest 'being tough on crime' does little to prevent re-offending.

As cyclone has already said, if punishment is such a deterrent you'd expect murder rates to be lowest in countries/states with the death penalty - and this just isn't the case.

This issue with begging, and what dare I describe as minor offences, is short custodial sentences do very little good as there's no opportunity to work with offenders prior to release, for example on substance issues or mental health problems.

I can't speak confidently about adult re-offending but youth re-offending rates are highest amongst those sent to youth offending institutes - the toughest of the three types of custody settings young people can be sent to. That would suggest 'being tough on crime' does little to prevent re-offending.

As cyclone has already said, if punishment is such a deterrent you'd expect murder rates to be lowest in countries/states with the death penalty - and this just isn't the case.

This issue with begging, and what dare I describe as minor offences, is short custodial sentences do very little good as there's no opportunity to work with offenders prior to release, for example on substance issues or mental health problems.

i dont disagree with what you are saying but wouldnt another way of looking at it be that even the toughest is not really tough and therefore no deterent .... likewise the short sentences are pretty much only an inconvienience to serial offenders so how about longer sentences ... just a thought ...