Does anyone know Susan Fassbender?

The Negatives, Bradford’s first punk band, was formed in the summer of 1978, practising at Coda Music on Church Bank. Pete Stobbs played guitar, Tino Palmer drummed, Bob Robinson played bass and Dave sang. After two try-out gigs, one at The Royal Standard, the other in a marquee on Horsforth Playing Fields as part of Metro ’78, they did their first proper publicised gig at Chicago Express.

Singer-guitarist Kay Russell played support.

I used have an occasional beer with her around 82/83 when I was at Bradford University.

I'm very sad to hear that she died.

Alex

Hello,I'm Patrick from Belgium.

I loved Susan and her only hit: Twilight zone.

I found out that she died at the age of 32.

That's rather young.

I was googling to find out how she died,but didn't found the answer.

Maybe you can give me the answer,because I really to know that.

Hi all

I wondered if you could help me please?

I am looking for a singer/songwriter called Susan Fassbender, she sang with a woman called Kay Russel, their only major hit was Twighlight Cafe. Any information would be useful as I am interested to find out anything about her as this was a great record.

I heard she had given up music and had returned to Sheffield via Bradford.

Any information would be great.

Thanks

I know Kay Russell now called Kay Brown. Sadly Susan Fassbender committed suicide 12 years ago or more but Kay Brown now lives in Castleford with her son Ben.

hi, i just found this message on a websearch for SF

I heard that Susan committed suicide in 1992.

I have the singles Twilight Cafe and 'Stay' the latter which has the artist credit Fassbender Russell and a great B side too

yes the b side was either get around it or stay but i cant remember which now. I will ask her and find out. They also released a great one called merry go round and it was about being unemployed and it was pure genius.

Edited by loopylin
made a mistake

I believe she was born Susan Whincup and came from Wibsey, Bradford. She was married and had children.

I loved the Twilight Café single. It was perfect pop. The two of them grinned like they couldn't believe their luck when they played on TOTP.

I was so sad to hear that she took her own life, and so young. What an absolute tragedy. She looks so happy on that video.

Hi Roberto I dated Susan in the mid '70s at that time she was Susan Wincup and lived with her Mum,Dad & younger brother John in Wibsey, Bradford. Sue changed her name to her mums maiden name when she started her pop career. I was really upset to hear she had taken her own life in '91 or '92 She was a fantastic musician and really good person to everyone she knew! I never got to say goodbye to her as I was a serving soldier at the time she passed away. Her brother is as far as I know is still in Bradford. Sorry I cant be anymore help. Regards DeeGee57

I only "know" Susan from having discovered her a year ago on youtube. She obviously had talent, personality, and energy, and her passing is a great loss. I am pleased to hear that Kay Russell is working on releasing more material, and is working on more of her own music.

heard twilight cafe last year on radio2 popmaster,hadnt heard for 25yrs or so.the best one hit wonder single ever,playing it now-rip susan!

yes she owes me a tenner

never heard anything from her since I lent it her.

How come all the people on this thread only have one or two posts each?