Tomato growing this year

Do green tomatoes ripen better in the dark Ian? I just presumed a sunny windowsill is best but maybe your method is better. Or does it depend whether you want quick ripening, or slow to store them for longer.

Nick.

Over the years I have found that putting them in a box/tray lined with several sheets of newspaper and plenty of newspaper on top in a cool room they ripen slowly but have a great flavour they MUST be inspected every week

I have had my own tomatoes into the new year with this method

Do green tomatoes ripen better in the dark Ian? I just presumed a sunny windowsill is best but maybe your method is better. Or does it depend whether you want quick ripening, or slow to store them for longer.

Nick.

I check them every other day as sometimes they go soft and start to go mouldy. I cook the ones I ripen in a box/drawer, cut them in half and put them in the microwave then remove the skins and bag them into portions and freeze. I have 3 lots ripening now, I expect them to be ready in a couple of weeks.

Edited by iansheff

I still have loads in the garden, some ripening, some green... scoffed loads, made chutney, made tom pasta sauce, given loads to family, still got loads... been a mad tomato summer.