Bring back national service for yobs!

Yet another potentially controversial issue here but does anyone else agree with me on this one?

I think that boys and girls (over 14) who cause trouble and are given ASBO's, public order offences and who are repetitivly getting themselves in serious trouble should be made to do 2 years national service to teach them how to be respectful!

I believe that many children are crying out for authority in their lives and when their partents don't give it to them, they look to the wrong side of the law for the attention they need. All bad 'chav's' who walk around with their hands down their pants, smoking, binge drinking and beating people up shout be forced to go into army training camps to be rehabilitated.

I really think that this would work! In the first instance, children would not misbehave as much if they knew this would happen and in the second instance, it has been proven time and time again that when children are given a good routine and have to respect authority, they behave themselves.

Obviously i am not talking about treating them badly or sending them off to war but they just need to learn. Especially because all those men (and women) in the World Wars were fighting for a free nation! but the concept of freedom is too mch for the children of today.

When there was the slipper and cane in schools, kids were bad but they didn't go around stabbing people for 50p! Kids need authority and reinforcement of that authority and crimes would be reduced!

Now there's a debate!

Kate xx

Having spent 9 years in the forces i would not like to fight alongside someone that has being ordered to do national service because of there behaviour. How could i trust them with my life.

I think everyone's children except mine should have to do National Service.

If we are going to have national service then it needs to be for everyone not just yobs. Aside from anything else, this means that different sorts of people have to learn to live together. If a single group of people had to do National Service then I would put middle class children who can afford a year off to go "travelling" at the top of the list. If they can take a year out to go on holiday then they could spend that year in service and would learn much more in the process. Since those children who go to University are saddled with debts, one method of solving this would be to write these off for people who do some service to their country. At the moment we do not treat a student any differently if he leaves the country to work in a Japanese bank as compared to one that stays and works as a social worker on low pay.

compulsory for 2 years for all school leavers

What nonsense, the last thing these people need is to learn how to use firearms - dear god can you hear us back there in 1952?

The thing is with students, being one myself is that we live is crappy conditions with no food most of the time and the money that we are given to fund us, we have to pay back as soon as we get a job. Many students i know get ill regularly and become malnourished.

Most maybe from wealthy backgrounds but most of their parents don't pay a penny. And these students are to become future lawywers, doctors, nurses, social workers, scientists and spend the rest of their lives serving other people who think that they shouldn't have been students in the first place.

My dad went to uni and now he spends every day of his life working 8am-8pm looking after people as proffessionally as he can and now they tell him that when he leaves work, he might die within 1 or 2 years from years os stress!

AS for national service, those kids who are good and respectful- fine! But those who delibrately go out to hurt others and intimidate should serve at some kind of service school not fighting in a war but in an authoritive training school, they may become decent adults!

Why does everyone interpret what i am saying (apart from my few supporters) as i want innocent little children to use guns and go to war? Reda my message properly please! :loopy:

I did national service in my home country of France, it was compulsary then. It taught me nothing except how to loose respect for authority and how to go through life without taking responsibility. Also if you saw the ways people tried to get out of the service you would think twice about posting for example deliberately breaking their limbs and occasionally worse - is this the future you want?

could your yobs get unarmed combat and knife fighting training too please coz i'm sure that will lead to a decline in violent crime - can't prove it but i'm sure if i believe it strongly enough it must be true, lol

I understand what you're saying, and I realise it was a positive experience for you, however coming from a psychology background (and being pacifist at that!) i could never (nor would i want to) endorse such punishment of young people. Certainly values and manners have been eroded over the years, however I firmly believe that the fault is at a societal level rather than at the level of young people who can only learn from what they see around them. A society that does not value or cherish either its young or the community cannot lay the blame (and consequent punishment) on those who know no other way.

However, I would endorse attempts to engage young people more fully in the functioning of their communities, thereby fostering their sense of worth and belonging. I believe that many people (not just teens) would benefit from increased participation in schemes that help the vulnerable in our society and that focus on improving our communities, environments and families.

As someone who has to deal with these yobs on a daily basis through work I agree with you. Either that or get Richard Branson to donate his island of Necker and throw all the yobs there to fend for themselves, clear the streets of the ASBO's and idiots once and for all. Recently an old lady we deal with has moved away from Sheffield after 2 years of being targeted by a yob and he's only now 9 YEARS OLD. Her health suffered greatly as do many others.

It's a disgusting situation.