Jimmy Carroll In Coma

Guest makapaka
I don't think that comment serves any useful purpose. I'd encourage all to offer their opinions; it's why it's called 'forum' .... an exchange of views. The clue is in the name. I think I've said that before somewhere. It was unnecessary as you seem to be advocating singing from the same hymn sheet which is tantamount to censorship.

Win the argument by all means but don't ask me to be silent in order for you to win friends and influence.

Good news regarding Carol's recovery.

Your opinions were not based on an fact or knowledge of what happened though - it was just speculation and probably upsetting to some people.

It’s not censorship - it’s availing yourself of the facts rather than speculating and also showing empathy.

Just wondering how Jimmy is progressing , anybody know.

Yes is there any updates on how Jimmy is now please?

On 30/07/2018 at 19:17, Owethemnowt said:

Ridgewalk 'never again'.

Indeed a lesson learned and a tough one at that. I agree it has to be put into perspective. Balancing a desire to do the right thing whilst maintaining your own safety.

I cite as a good example the recent cave rescuers in Chiang Rai. The lead diver stated the first priority was to look after yourself. That is the reality of life. Many the time we've seen well meaning but totally misjudged rescue attempts, again in water, to save a dog or worse a child. The result has been that said child survives and parent needlessly drowns.And the death of a dog? In comparison with the loss of human life? Bonzo can go hang anytime in my book.

It's tough but there it is.

I prefer a cool head rather than a knee jerk reaction any time.

Albert Smith do you really wish me ill? That's an extreme a response to the mere expression of a different opinion and you should perhaps reconsider what you've said. I don't wish any ill on the not known to me individual who happens to have become a victim rather than a hero. I merely question the judgement shown.

Let's keep this civil at all times please.

Kidley you kid me not. 'Have a go hero' needs no defining as it is a commonly understood and used expression. I'm perfectly happy to accept any reasonable definition you propose. Confident as I am in its common parlance.

Are there any updates on Carol's progress?

Everyone is different.  Some people act from the head and some from the heart.  I'm glad we still live in a world where there are still some people left who will make a stand for the sake of others, like in footage we have seen on public transport.  If more people stood up, the perps would be in a very small minority, and would back off.

I don't know the circumstances in this case at all, I'm just responding to your post.

I wish Jimmy a full recovery and strength and love to his family.

Edited by Lex Luthor

17 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

Everyone is different.  Some people act from the head and some from the heart.  I'm glad we still live in a world where there are still some people left who will make a stand for the sake of others, like in footage we have seen on public transport.  If more people stood up, the perps would be in a very small minority, and would back off.

I don't know the circumstances in this case at all, I'm just responding to your post.

I wish Jimmy a full recovery and strength and love to his family.

How we assess a situation and respond to it will be determined by a number of factors, not just what we are seeing unfold before us, but our past experiences,  our personality type, our mood at the time, our physical ability to do so, and other things.  In some cases a person may be willing to make a stand, in another case the same person may not be willing to.  It's not as if there are a group of people who possess these moral virtues to stand up for others and some that don't.  It really depends on the circumstances.   

I think owethemnowt's assessment is very sensible tbh.  If you endanger yourself by intervening then you're probably not going to be much help in any case.  That doesn't mean don't intervene, but I think you have to choose carefully how to do that in order to get the best outcome for your perceived victim as well as yourself.

3 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

How we assess a situation and respond to it will be determined by a number of factors, not just what we are seeing unfold before us, but our past experiences,  our personality type, our mood at the time, our physical ability to do so, and other things.  In some cases a person may be willing to make a stand, in another case the same person may not be willing to.  It's not as if there are a group of people who possess these moral virtues to stand up for others and some that don't.  It really depends on the circumstances.   

I think owethemnowt's assessment is very sensible tbh.  If you endanger yourself by intervening then you're probably not going to be much help in any case.  That doesn't mean don't intervene, but I think you have to choose carefully how to do that in order to get the best outcome for your perceived victim as well as yourself.

I agree 100% but whilst some are busy assessing the situation, some situations call for lightning reactions, for example, some of the heroic actions of those in London recently.

22 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

I agree 100% but whilst some are busy assessing the situation, some situations call for lightning reactions, for example, some of the heroic actions of those in London recently.

Yes indeed.  And I couldn't tell you what I'd have done had I been there.  I might have intervened, I might have ran off.  I've really no idea.  I don't think intervening would make me a hero though, in the same way as I don't think running off would make me a coward.

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Yes indeed.  And I couldn't tell you what I'd have done had I been there.  I might have intervened, I might have ran off.  I've really no idea.  I don't think intervening would make me a hero though, in the same way as I don't think running off would make me a coward.

I think intervening would make you a hero but I don't think running off would make you a coward.

I haven’t heard or read anything about Jimmy Carrol since his unfortunate assault, is he doing ok, is he housebound, does anyone know?