Would you use a second hand coffin?

What is the point of a coffin if you are going to be cremated, so why not just hire one for a few hours?

What is the point of a coffin if you are going to be cremated, so why not just hire one for a few hours?

Why bother with one at all. Just incinerate, job done. All this service rigmarole, I just think it only exists to extract money from the punters (which we all are, eventually).

What a strange question, you're dead , I don't think you'd know if it was a second hand one you're lying in.

I guess the question should be more directed at those who will be dealing with the deceased.

Cremation is a pretty inefficient process (energy wise) for deposing of a body.

Maybe recycling the dead should be encouraged?

Short answer No but my instructions to family are to use a cardboard one

Short answer No but my instructions to family are to use a cardboard one

They used to be very expensive card board ones. I dont know if they still are.

They used to be very expensive card board ones. I dont know if they still are.

7 years ago they were, mi dad had one for his, as he used to be a woodworker all his life and didnt want a wooden one

.......when you see hearse cars,there is a compartment underneath the platform on show.I have often thought that the body is tipped out, then the coffin goes back to the undertakers for re-use in the underneath compartment.........just saying!

.......when you see hearse cars,there is a compartment underneath the platform on show.I have often thought that the body is tipped out, then the coffin goes back to the undertakers for re-use in the underneath compartment.........just saying!

ive heard they do remove the coffin before they cremate, should ask mi cousin really, she works at an undertakers

ive heard they do remove the coffin before they cremate, should ask mi cousin really, she works at an undertakers

In most crematoria the coffin is normally burnt with the body inside. The ashes are then sifted and the bone fragments crushed down to powder in a cremulator. The latter is necessary as cremation does not have a high enough temperature to result in just bone ash.

.......she's not going to blow the whistle Mel surely!........but I cant believe they burn those beautiful wood boxes with brass hinges etc each time..........maybe it's just the Sid James in me!

No the body is not removed from the coffin.....

30 odd years ago, whilst employed with an electrical contractor we had a contract to do some work at City Road Crematorium, me and my mate were working in the crematoria and whilst in there saw the bloke operating the furnace waiting for the coffin to arrive from the rollers as the curtain shut.

As soon as the coffin appeared, it was pushed into the furnace, the door closed and the gas taps turned on and ignited.......after a few minutes, the operator would shove a long metal

pole ( 3 - 4 metres in length ) through an hole in the furnace door to break up the skeleton.