Prospects for the Sheffield clubs this coming season?

On 30/06/2018 at 08:27, DerbyTup said:

New season on its way. What's the prospects for your club this coming season do you think?

How about you Owls? Are you going to blast your way to promotion, like you said last season, or are you expecting a tough time, what with all these high earners on the books and up against the FFP buffers? :o

And what about you Blades? The club is doing it's old trick of selling off it's best young players again isn't it? And the strike force is old enough to qualify for Dad's Army! Can you possibly repeat the high standards of last season with a weakened squad - or maybe you don't think the squad is weaker?

And what about Blades views on Owls and vice-versa? I know, you don't give a fig about each others prospects, but it was quite funny last season when the Owls fans were telling the Blades how hard the division was and how they'd struggle - and the Blades ended up higher than Owls and gave them a pasting in their own back yard as well! :hihi:

Automatic promotion for blades

Wednesday just not good enough for playoffs (as usual)

Rotherham to go down

On 24/04/2019 at 12:21, petcharlie said:

How can one person get so much wrong he must have had help .Poor man is obviously clueless.He has made himself look a right plonker.Every sentence is the opposite to what really happened can not believe anyone could get it so wrong no matter what subject they talk about.I suggest in future he keeps his gob shut and listen to guys who actually know what they are talking about.

If that was aimed at me then you should really have a look at how I used to post, mainly tongue in cheek and having a laugh. This forum is dead compared to what it used to be.

Anyway, for the decent blades I used to converse with, congratulations on your promotion.

Get ready for all those 4-0 losses 😆

2 hours ago, web1 said:

If that was aimed at me then you should really have a look at how I used to post, mainly tongue in cheek and having a laugh. This forum is dead compared to what it used to be.

Anyway, for the decent blades I used to converse with, congratulations on your promotion.

It's OK Web, he was referring to the Roy's View link I put up...

18 hours ago, rogets said:

Automatic promotion for blades

Wednesday just not good enough for playoffs (as usual)

Rotherham to go down

I wish I'd have put a few quid on that! ☹️ 

Alas, I'm not a gambling man!  I am a Blade though, so that makes me feel happy at least.  Although, to be fair, I would have preferred for Rotherham to stay up - and in truth, I'd have preferred for Wednesday and United to go up.  I think it would be fantastic for this city and it's two wonderfully supported football clubs.  Maybe end of next season we'll be seeing them both in the Prem?

I tell you what, I'll wait until we see what kind of a squad the local teams put together before I make any predictions on it.  But here's my initial thoughts...

If United can sort out their ownership problem to allow Wilder to bring in 4 or 5 "quality" additions then I think United will hold their own.  There's a top 6 or 8 that I wouldn't expect them to break into, but beyond that I think it's much of a muchness and with his leadership and style of play United will be competitive - but - they will need additions.

I think the big issue for Wednesday is the FFP restrictions.  Luckily they have some high earning low contributors coming to the end of their contracts.  They will need to jettison them asap to create some room for new players.  Can Bruce find those new players, cheaply?  If he can, and if he can retain a few of their better players, I'd fancy them to be pushing at the top end of the table.

As for Rotherham - I think their efforts this season have been tremendous and they should be confident of performing well at the level below.  But I think they are a club currently stuck in a situation where they are maybe too good for League 1 but not quite good enough for the Championship.  Depending on how he keeps the squad together, they may push for an automatic return, but somehow I don't think it will be.

I know that this thread is a reminder of what was said back in July 2018, but I thought I'd dive straight in for 2019/20 and have bash.

At the moment, I'm pretty confident that the Blades will do mid tableish top halfish, Wednesday SHOULD be top 8 almost all season, and top, 2nd or 3rd on occasions.

WITH THE RIGHT APPLICATION, there's no reason why we shouldn't be the ones to fear in 2019/20. Rotherham, I feel will come straight back up. Barnsley will make the step up quite well, and will finish in a comfortable position, Chezzy (maybe with a Managerial change) will need more time to improve their lot. Donny, after a change of Manager, may come a bit unstuck.

So there we have it.

Get yer money on! 

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Well I"ve had many years of experience making a fool of myself, so why stop now.

BLADES-- will be in a relegation dogfight, staying up by the skin of their teeth.

ROTHERHAM-- tough league to escape from, play offs? maybe.

BARNSLEY-- mid table if promoted.

DONCASTER-- relegation material if promoted.

CHESTERFIELD-- top six.

OWLS-- saving the best till last, really got a good feeling on this one.. predicting top 6 all season, expecting a big assault on top 2.

Just hoping next season is as good as this one has been, really enjoyed it. thanks to all you guys, enjoy reading your comments. enjoy your Hols.

Hmmm... :huh:

... well next season is going to be a very long, hard struggle with no doubt many heavy defeats along the way to teams far superior in every position.

Despite the gallant efforts of a very good manager there's obviously no hope of making the top 6 next season.

Fans will become increasingly frustrated with losing so many games after finishing this season with so much hope for the future.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a battle against relegation from the first day of the season.

United on the other hand could do quite well... ;)

9 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... well next season is going to be a very long, hard struggle with no doubt many heavy defeats along the way to teams far superior in every position.

Despite the gallant efforts of a very good manager there's obviously no hope of making the top 6 next season.

Fans will become increasingly frustrated with losing so many games after finishing this season with so much hope for the future.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn out to be a battle against relegation from the first day of the season.

United on the other hand could do quite well... ;)

🤣  Classic.

On 28/04/2019 at 15:36, web1 said:

Let it go pal

11 hours ago, Padders said:

Well I"ve had many years of experience making a fool of myself, so why stop now.

BLADES-- will be in a relegation dogfight, staying up by the skin of their teeth.

ROTHERHAM-- tough league to escape from, play offs? maybe.

BARNSLEY-- mid table if promoted.

DONCASTER-- relegation material if promoted.

CHESTERFIELD-- top six.

OWLS-- saving the best till last, really got a good feeling on this one.. predicting top 6 all season, expecting a big assault on top 2.

Just hoping next season is as good as this one has been, really enjoyed it. thanks to all you guys, enjoy reading your comments. enjoy your Hols.

Wednesday have every chance. No big clubs coming down and minnows , Luton, Barnsley coming up

On 30/06/2018 at 08:27, DerbyTup said:

New season on its way. What's the prospects for your club this coming season do you think?

How about you Owls? Are you going to blast your way to promotion, like you said last season, or are you expecting a tough time, what with all these high earners on the books and up against the FFP buffers? :o

And what about you Blades? The club is doing it's old trick of selling off it's best young players again isn't it? And the strike force is old enough to qualify for Dad's Army! Can you possibly repeat the high standards of last season with a weakened squad - or maybe you don't think the squad is weaker?

And what about Blades views on Owls and vice-versa? I know, you don't give a fig about each others prospects, but it was quite funny last season when the Owls fans were telling the Blades how hard the division was and how they'd struggle - and the Blades ended up higher than Owls and gave them a pasting in their own back yard as well! :hihi:

Oh how I laughed when I read the United statement, Corporal Pyke Sharp with 24 goals and Private Didsy Frazer with 15. 

Top it off with promotion to the premier league and you can see how predictions usually dont come true! 

14 minutes ago, rarmin4 said:

Oh how I laughed when I read the United statement, Corporal Pyke Sharp with 24 goals and Private Didsy Frazer with 15. 

Top it off with promotion to the premier league and you can see how predictions usually dont come true! 

The only predictions i will make is the top six in the prem and celtic to win the Scottish prem.So easy this predicting lark.Oh I nearly forgot the Blades to win the Champions league.All that celebrating as made me feel a bit funny must have a lie down.🤩

Rotherham - down now, but will make play offs next season

Doncaster -  will miss out this season in play offs,  think Sunderland, Portsmouth will have too much for them, they should be back in the mix next term

Barnsley - promoted this season, will compete and stay up next season

Owls - all depends on who gets let go and who comes in, I would imagine a 9th or 10th place again with the right lads and the right mindset.

Blades - CW intimating four (maybe five) additions, and no doubt he is going to find some more gems like Enda Stevens, Jack O' Connell, etc.,  lower mid finish.

As a few of us have said on here, the top six in the Prem can be pretty much written now, it's just getting the exact order right.

Teams think they have worked out our style of football, but if that was the case, we wouldn't be going into the final game with a chance of top spot. 

Premier League teams might be in for a bit of a shock.

As always, take the above with a pinch of salt, I am not a gambler and I don't study form much, or know much about opposition teams,  this is just based on overall current season and final positions.