Sign in to follow this  

Outdoor swimming/bathing opportunities in Sheffield.

Remember in the late sixties early seventies spending all summer holidays at the lido mill houses,when we had proper summers lasting weeks.

Does anyone remember wearing rosary beads as a fashion accessory with our bikinis and hippy bells round our necks?oh how I long for those days again!

Yes I remember those long hot days and changing out of the bikini into the kaftan and walking barefoot finding flowers to put in our hair. 14 years old with no hope of ever physically getting to San Francisco but the concept was dear to our hearts. Fond memories:)

Yes I remember those long hot days and changing out of the bikini into the kaftan and walking barefoot finding flowers to put in our hair. 14 years old with no hope of ever physically getting to San Francisco but the concept was dear to our hearts. Fond memories:)

Listening to Jimmy Saville on Radio 1 playing Gary Glitter songs, then rush home and watch It's a Knockout with Stuart Hall on TV. The good old days.

I went to Iceland the other day. It was full of freezers. :hihi:

Ha ha ha... That's funny

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 11:31 ----------

Remember in the late sixties early seventies spending all summer holidays at the lido mill houses,when we had proper summers lasting weeks.

Does anyone remember wearing rosary beads as a fashion accessory with our bikinis and hippy bells round our necks?oh how I long for those days again!

Proper summers? No you didn't. Check out the met office archive, pick a date, any date, and my money is on 18C 66F ish cloudy, chance of rain. Go on try it. l did it with my grandmother, random dates during the summer fifties and sixties and that's what happens nine times out of ten.

I know this is going slightly off the mark but i can t believe they changed play area at rivelin only to then say it needs to be manned so its hardly ever open so then all kids end up in river!

Every town including many lot smaller than Sheffield I lived in had outdoor swimming pool. Never seen one in Sheffield, Heathersage doesn't count, that is Derbyshire.

Sheffield Postcode to be pedantic ;)

Ha ha ha... That's funny

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 11:31 ----------

Proper summers? No you didn't. Check out the met office archive, pick a date, any date, and my money is on 18C 66F ish cloudy, chance of rain. Go on try it. l did it with my grandmother, random dates during the summer fifties and sixties and that's what happens nine times out of ten.

Yet still they were building outdoor swimming pools and Lido back in the 1930s, so I'm not sure the weather has that much to do with it. I remember using them back in the 1950's and thought they were great, even if the weather wasn't that hot.

And technology has now moved on geatly to provide better all year round facilities.

Yet still they were building outdoor swimming pools and Lido back in the 1930s, so I'm not sure the weather has that much to do with it. I remember using them back in the 1950's and thought they were great, even if the weather wasn't that hot.

And technology has now moved on geatly to provide better all year round facilities.

That would be nice but the outdoor pools I have known in similar climates as England are not open all year round.

Let's first make a normal one for half year usage before going high tech best of the world.

I have often holidayed in southern Germany where nearly every small town has an outdoor pool set in a grassed area.

Open from May to September and very cheap.

Depending on the population, there may be cafes etc.

Solar panels used to warm the pool.

Local taxes, however, are higher than ours .... and they have longer spells of warm weather.

Available land is also an advantage.

Social attitudes and family values mean I never saw vandalism or antisocial behaviour.

Edited by cgksheff

whats up wi don.

it were good enough when we were kids. We even swan in different coloured water every day , depending on what colour bog rolls British Tissues had been making that day .

Brilliant idea I'd support.

But...

It's simply a matter of two things imo.

1. Money.

2. Location.

Who's gonna pay for it and where's it gonna go?

Unlikely the council could or would want to afford it imo. Stick it in any location around the city and it will cost to reach it by public transport for someone, which adds to the admission cost for them. A lane swim in Ponds Forge costs me the best part of £10 with bus fares now.

An outdoor pool to be viable would have to be a fair size. I can't think of any reasonable location that has a piece of land large enough - that isn't already used - to host it. Any ideas?

And is the need/interest really there when the council have closed more pools than are left open iirc?

If a company are ready to pump £millions into an artificial ski slope, in the same location where the last one failed, maybe they could be persuaded to invest in an outdoor pool as well, (they're looking to invest in other sports apparently, and Sheffield is supposed to be the City of Sport, remember.)

As for location, there are loads of places it could go with a bit of clever design and imagination.

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 20:46 ----------

I have often holidayed in southern Germany where nearly every small town has an outdoor pool set in a grassed area.

Open from May to September and very cheap.

Depending on the population, there may be cafes etc.

Solar panels used to warm the pool.

Local taxes, however, are higher than ours .... and they have longer spells of warm weather.

Available land is also an advantage.

Social attitudes and family values mean I never saw vandalism or antisocial behaviour.

Intteresting. What do you think accounts for this?

Intteresting. What do you think accounts for this?

Strangely enough, I think that it may be down to differing social attitudes and differing family values.

Germans are completely different. You will not find a town in Germany like Sheffield without at least two outdoor pool. Some people here think that outdoor pool needs to be a bit like some entertainment park.

Just a simple concrete square 2 m deep 8 lane 50 m long tiled on the surface with a diving board and a grass field around it will do.

Problem is here in England you have to keep the social classes separated. In germany they all go to the pool.

Edited by dutch