Whats a million quid or two matter.

Paris gets about 5 million more visitors a year than London, so if tourist numbers are linked to the absence or presence of a monarchy we should chop their heads off and we'll be quids in.

5 million more? jeeez, and they have only got eiffel tower...:hihi:

Crikey....they get much more than 5 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Edited by banjodeano

5 million more? jeeez, and they have only got eiffel tower...:hihi:

Crikey....they get much more than 5 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Well Deano, the republican economic argument is becoming compelling. Obviously we want the guillotine blades made in Sheffield.

Maybe the aid we send to other countries with their own nuclear arms programme could be stopped and spent here.

i think its a big fallacy all this "we need a royal family sat in a palace to bring in tourists"...i mean we have Chatsworth house, and we dont have a queen sat in it with her corgies, but it still attracts thousands of visitors a year, and its the same with all the London landmarks, people will still come and see them, queen or no queen

Of course it's a fallacy. Versailles is a massive attraction and France has been a republic for over 200 years.

It attracts up to 7million visitors a year, which is more than double the visitor numbers to all of the UK royal palaces combined.

Buckingham Palace would make us more money if the royals vacated it and we could open it every day of the year (except Christmas Day) instead of the very limited few poxy weeks every summer.

Of course it's a fallacy. Versailles is a massive attraction and France has been a republic for over 200 years.

It attracts up to 7million visitors a year, which is more than double the visitor numbers to all of the UK royal palaces combined.

Buckingham Palace would make us more money if the royals vacated it and we could open it every day of the year (except Christmas Day) instead of the very limited few poxy weeks every summer.

Yep, then it could be self-financing from ticket revenue.

to be honest i believe you can no do anything individually, in the present climate it is difficult, Anna what you doing, or suggest we do?

I agree to a point, and I do what I can. I try to be kind, and to help people where I can, I also volunteer. You can only try to change the world around you, anything else requires a co-ordinated effort of everyone, and the political will. Which is why I will probably be voting for Corbyn.

London's Tourism Industry

http://www.uncsbrp.org/tourism.htm

Revenues generated by tourism in London comprise approximately 10 per cent of the city's gross value added income, and it is projected that tourists in London spend approximately £15 million per year.

The money being used for the rewire replumb etc is from the Crown Properties Income, which goes to the government coffers. An increased allowance will be paid to cover the cost. In other words it is not coming out of your and my pocket unless we hire a crown property or pay admission to one.

As The Palace is used as an official residence and The Queen seems to be a better option than the likes of Donald Trump and entourage, I have no objection. Disclaimer: there is no declaration of love for royalty intended in this post.

London's Tourism Industry

http://www.uncsbrp.org/tourism.htm

Revenues generated by tourism in London comprise approximately 10 per cent of the city's gross value added income, and it is projected that tourists in London spend approximately £15 million per year.

The money being used for the rewire replumb etc is from the Crown Properties Income, which goes to the government coffers. An increased allowance will be paid to cover the cost. In other words it is not coming out of your and my pocket unless we hire a crown property or pay admission to one.

As The Palace is used as an official residence and The Queen seems to be a better option than the likes of Donald Trump and entourage, I have no objection. Disclaimer: there is no declaration of love for royalty intended in this post.

thanks for that link, but in the first paragraph it says

London is the most popular tourist destination in the whole world,

and after that whopping lie i didnt read any further

thanks for that link, but in the first paragraph it says

London is the most popular tourist destination in the whole world,

and after that whopping lie i didnt read any further

So would you like to enlighten us as to which destination is the most popular?

I suppose it depends on what criteria is used, how it is used and the statistics it produces. I honestly don't think it makes much difference as to why and how the rewire is paid for. The refurb. of embassies throughout the world is paid for from government funds. and The Palace is the official residence of the Queen who acts as head of state in Britain.

I suppose it depends on what criteria is used, how it is used and the statistics it produces. I honestly don't think it makes much difference as to why and how the rewire is paid for. The refurb. of embassies throughout the world is paid for from government funds. and The Palace is the official residence of the Queen who acts as head of state in Britain.

I think any criteria that you choose would prove that the UK is not the most popular destination in the world....but dont let facts stop the pro monarchy nonsense,

i would rather see the money spent on people that actually need and deserve it, not a rather outdated expensive tradition