Phone calls from 0114 numbers

I dont get any phone calls or txt. How Sad is that. :hihi:

Sometimes putting the number in google will bring up any history.

Not quite. If you ring a 0114 number But you certainly cant ring a 0114 local number and then be charged for an international one or whatever.

Not necessarily if the number has been spoofed (caller ID spoofing) to make it appear its a 0114 number when in fact you could be ringing anywhere, any tariff.

https://www.bbb.org/en/us/article/news-releases/16670-a-new-kind-of-phone-scam-neighbor-spoofing

As people have said on here its possible a spoof number. I ought to warn people that there is a latest update to the internet error calls you get from overseas. They are now sending a voicemail message saying that you will be cut off from the internet if you dont contact them.

Spoofing of number is a real problem for the industry, as it allows me to call someone from a phone and present the number for your bank, so that on your mobile it would look like Lloyds or RBS etc are calling you. Whilst it is illegal to do this, it does not matter to a fraudster operating from a call centre on another continent. What could possibly go wrong?

The good news is that the industry is aware of it and has a fix. It involves adding a "digital signature" to each telephone number globally and implementing checks and balances at carrier interconnect points that effectively say "I am a legitimate call and here is my password" at which point the carrier passes the call on as a verified call. A bit like Spam filters for emails and URLs on the internet.

The bad news is that no-one is being forced to do it, so implementing it is a long way off.

I don't understand how you can be charged/scammed if they ring you???