Phone calls from 0114 numbers

In the last two days I have had calls from a 01145 and a 01148 number, I have looked on the sites to see if can find who the callers are but neither come up as being searched before. Apart from on the Should I answer site where it comes up as an invalid number, I have rung and all you get is a beep and it cuts off, anyone answered a call from these numbers and know who they are? It doesn't ring on my downstairs phone as unknown callers have to leave a message saying who they are, however my upstairs phone has not got this facility so the phone rings. I know people are going to say it is a scam but I just wondered who so can put a name to the ICO complaint form.

No, chances are it's a scam and they're hiding behind fake numbers.

No, chances are it's a scam and they're hiding behind fake numbers.

It is odds on a scam, why else would it say invalid number and just beep and go off when you call it, would just like to know who it is. Don't think it is International as the phone stops those calls, and even though it shows 0114 would imagine that the phone would say International call.

There are things available that can mask a number and make it look like you are calling from a real number, but it does nothing when you call it back.

I really wouldnt worry about it.

There are things available that can mask a number and make it look like you are calling from a real number, but it does nothing when you call it back.

I really wouldnt worry about it.

I know that and am not worried about it, if you read the post I asked if anyone knew who it was from so can put it in the complaint to the ICO.

I have calls all the time and one of them just says 'Goodbye'. Others are a nuisance and I just say not interested. I always check the numbers if anyone phones me but I don't often ring back unless I know who they are.

It is odds on a scam, why else would it say invalid number and just beep and go off when you call it, would just like to know who it is. Don't think it is International as the phone stops those calls, and even though it shows 0114 would imagine that the phone would say International call.

You shouldn't phone un-known numbers back, one scam relies on people phoning back.

They get put through to a premium-rate number, with eye-watering charges.

You shouldn't phone un-known numbers back, one scam relies on people phoning back.

They get put through to a premium-rate number, with eye-watering charges.

Not quite. If you ring a 0114 number you are, believe it or not, charged accordingly for a 0114 call. So in this instance it is fine.

Other numbers yes, but again depends what the number is that has called you. The highest rate premium number in the UK is £1.50 a minute. International calls can be a lot more.

But you certainly cant ring a 0114 local number and then be charged for an international one or whatever.

Edited by EmmaJones76

I have calls all the time and one of them just says 'Goodbye'. Others are a nuisance and I just say not interested. I always check the numbers if anyone phones me but I don't often ring back unless I know who they are.

I get the "Goodbye girl " too ...usually followed by a call from an Asian accent bloke, who says his name is John, or Paul, or George and he's calling from the Technical Department of BT, or Talktalk, or Windows,or even The Internet, about the problems being caused by my computer, which necessitate him to install some software on it! Yeh, right! Usually I tell these muppets they're talking to Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile and they'll need to take the matter up with my mate Caesar! Usually they hang up!

ive had three over the last week answered the last one and was funeral insurance

Not quite. If you ring a 0114 number you are, believe it or not, charged accordingly for a 0114 call. So in this instance it is fine.

Other numbers yes, but again depends what the number is that has called you. The highest rate premium number in the UK is £1.50 a minute. International calls can be a lot more.

But you certainly cant ring a 0114 local number and then be charged for an international one or whatever.

I can confirm the above is 100% true. I work in telecoms billing.