The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

17 minutes ago, Litotes said:

And the democratic wish of the country is to now have another vote so we can ratify (or not) the deal that has been offered.

But this is being undemocratically ignored by the dictatorship that is the government.

Why is this so hard for you to understand.?

I have posted this before and as said then it paints a different picture. Its just not true that its a democratic wish of the country to have another vote. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46735713

Edited by apelike
forgot link

Only 12 per cent of UK GDP comes from trade with the EU (goods and services).

Trade in goods by themselves accounts for just 5 per cent of UK GDP.

The Benefits of our EU membership are massively exaggerated.

5 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Only 12 per cent of UK GDP comes from trade with the EU (goods and services).

Trade in goods by themselves accounts for just 5 per cent of UK GDP.

The Benefits of our EU membership are massively exaggerated.

funny that cos this says 44%

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

and 53% of our imports came from countries in the EU last year

and plenty of our goods pass through Rotterdam on the way to countries OUTSIDE the EU so stop it with your lies, mistruths and sillyness

1 hour ago, apelike said:

And I'm quite happy to keep reminding you that in our democracy those that didn't vote don't count so it was actually split 52% to 48% with leave winning, quite simple really. 

You seem to be deliberately missing my point yet again.

The referendum wasn't a first past the post election with winner takes all. It was an advisory poll which as my figures above show, split the electorate more or less three ways. That is why constantly banging on about 'Brexit being the will of the people' is a complete nonsense.

I have always said that a second referendum isn't necessary, just a government (or Parliament if the government won't) which puts the interest of the nation as a whole first, not the wishes of a shouty minority of the electorate.

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and plenty of our goods pass through Rotterdam on the way to countries OUTSIDE the EU so stop it with your lies, mistruths and sillyness

The article you have provided a link for states:

"The £274 billion exports of goods and services to other EU countries were worth 13.4% of the value of the British economy in 2017. It’s been at around 12-15% over the past decade."

I stated that the EU only accounted for just 12 per cent of UK GDP (and just 5 per cent UK GDP for goods alone). So how does this make me a liar?

It doesn't. 

26 minutes ago, melthebell said:

It doesn't state that 44 percent of UK GDP comes from trade with the EU at all.

It states that just 13.4 per cent of UK GDP came from trade with the EU in 2017. And over the last decade it has varied between 12 - 15 per cent.

Your post has served to confirm that the Benefits of our EU membership are indeed massively exaggerated.

6 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

It doesn't state that 44 percent of UK GDP comes from trade with the EU at all.

It states that just 13.4 per cent of UK GDP came from trade with the EU in 2017. And over the last decade it has varied between 12 - 15 per cent.

Your post has served to confirm that the Benefits of our EU membership are indeed massively exaggerated.

sorry, not GDP but it states

About 44% of UK exports in goods and services went to other countries in the EU in 2017—£274 billion out of £616 billion total exports.

so not far off half our goods and services exports go to countries in the EU, thats not to be sniffed at, funnily enough yet again it also shows that over half go to countries outside the EU, but i thought that was one of the major things about brexit? we wern't allowed to sell to countries outside the EU

Edited by melthebell

31 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You seem to be deliberately missing my point yet again.

No its just your point is irrelevant.  

It was an advisory poll which as my figures above show, split the electorate more or less three ways.

The advisory poll bit is also irrelevant, and although your figure may show a 3 way spit its wrong as it was a 2 way split as the results clearly confirmed.

That is why constantly banging on about 'Brexit being the will of the people' is a complete nonsense.

You still fail to acknowledge that in this referendum the will of the people in our democracy is determined by the electorate that voted as non voters dont count, which is the same in any election or referendum. Talking about and including those that dont count is just a statistical fudge. 

Edited by apelike

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

Or 9%... or 11:-

https://fullfact.org/europe/how-many-businesses-export-eu/

How much do these businesses that trade with the EU contribute to the UK economy?

I'd be rather awkward if those businesses accounted for sizable chunk of the UK's economy, and were major employers..... oh.. hang on :?

Unfortunately for leavers, it's a bit like winning a darwin award :hihi:

Those UK businesses that trade with the EU accounted for just 13.4 per cent of total UK GDP in 2017.

The benefits of our EU membership are MASSIVELY exaggerated.

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

And the democratic wish of the country is to now have another vote so we can ratify (or not) the deal that has been offered.

But this is being undemocratically ignored by the dictatorship that is the government.

Why is this so hard for you to understand.?

Is it really?  That's fascinating.  The democratic wish of the WHOLE country eh??    A whole majority of the electorate officially recorded that that's what they want it right?? 

Strange that because I don't remember being asked.   When exactly did that nationwide opinion take place?    When exactly did the elected parliament offer such a thing to the masses?    I must have blinked and missed it.......  Oh wait, they haven't have they.    That's just nonsense isn't it.

I think what you mean to say is the majority number of a selected opinion poll most likely funded by an extremely bias remain campaign group have said that they want it.     Not exactly the same thing is it.   

I think you will find that officially it is our elected politicians who will have a vote on the terms of the deal not the people as a whole. 

There is a big difference between what some silly campaign group wishes for against what he's actually happening in reality.  

The age of social media and instant gratification has a lot to answer for. 

Newsflash to the millennial generation.  You don't get to demand a say and don't get exactly your own way in every single little aspect of life.   Life is unfair.  

In politics we vote for an MP and they represent us in the commons until we choose to vote them out again at the next election.   In the meantime they are our voice, they make the decisions, they vote on our behalf on the day-to-day business.  In this instance it includes brexit.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

12 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Those UK businesses that trade with the EU accounted for just 13.4 per cent of total UK GDP in 2017.

The benefits of our EU membership are MASSIVELY exaggerated.

No - still 44% of our exports.

We only export 30.5% of our GDP.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS

6 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No - still 44% of our exports.

We only export 30.5% of our GDP.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS

Exports to the EU were worth just 13.4% of the value of ALL the goods and services produced in the UK in 2017, according to the ONS. 

The benefits of our EU membership have been massively exaggerated.