The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

15 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Have you been keeping up? You know that leaving without a deal is effectively off the table right?

How can the default legal position be off the table?  

17 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and thats what confuses things, its not as simple as that, people want all sorts of things, including down the middle

Of cause it is as simple as that.   The obvious choice to anyone still wanting to remain in the single market,  remain in the customs union or wanting easy access to work or live in the EU was to vote remain.

28 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I would go for:

Do you want a No Deal  Brexit

Do you want a Brexit No Deal

Just to keep Lockdoctor confused

I am one of the few Sheffield Forum Remain voters who is not confused because I  understand Leave  WON the EU referendum.

Only 6 per cent of UK businesses trade with the EU.

The benefits of staying in the EU have been massively over exaggerated.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I would go for:

Do you want a No Deal  Brexit

Do you want a Brexit No Deal

Just to keep Lockdoctor confused

LOL, good luck with that... here's another one that is clearly incomprehensible too:-

‘The first duty of a member of Parliament is to do what he thinks in his faithful and disinterested judgement is right and necessary for the honour and safety of Great Britain. His second duty is to his constituents, of whom he is the representative but not the delegate. Burke's famous declaration on this subject is well known. It is only in the third place that his duty to party organization or programme takes rank. All these three loyalties should be observed, but there in no doubt of the order in which they stand under any healthy manifestation of democracy.'
Sir Winston Churchill on the Duties of a Member of Parliament.

1 hour ago, ez8004 said:

Have you been keeping up? You know that leaving without a deal is effectively off the table right?

I think you need to read up too. We still default to a no deal Brexit, unless Parliament comes up with a proposal that can get a majority, and then is agreed by the EU.

Those votes were significant, but don't currently change the law of leaving in March.

I'd be amazed , and grateful if they do come up with a sensible proposal, that meets the concerns of both Leave and Remain voters. As it stands, I won't be holding my breath.

6 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Only 6 per cent of UK businesses trade with the EU.

The benefits of staying in the EU have been massively over exaggerated.

Depends very much on which 6%.

5 minutes ago, woodview said:

I think you need to read up too. We still default to a no deal Brexit, unless Parliament comes up with a proposal that can get a majority, and then is agreed by the EU.

Those votes were significant, but don't currently change the law of leaving in March.

I'd be amazed , and grateful if they do come up with a sensible proposal, that meets the concerns of both Leave and Remain voters. As it stands, I won't be holding my breath.

Which sort of leave voter? As we are reminded, people voted leave for many many reasons. Impossible to keep half of them happy no matter what deal is put forward.

2 minutes ago, retep said:

May's last hope?

BREXIT MASTERPLAN: Shock GENERAL ELECTION plot to PUSH THROUGH no-deal exit revealed

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1069565/brexit-news-general-election-april-theresa-may-no-deal-brexit

Seems implausible. I don't think May has any wish or intention to try to push through a no-deal. She is , at heart, a Remain supporter.

9 minutes ago, retep said:

May's last hope?

BREXIT MASTERPLAN: Shock GENERAL ELECTION plot to PUSH THROUGH no-deal exit revealed

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1069565/brexit-news-general-election-april-theresa-may-no-deal-brexit

do you read anything other than The Express?

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Which sort of leave voter? As we are reminded, people voted leave for many many reasons. Impossible to keep half of them happy no matter what deal is put forward.

Correct. But, we are in a situation where 50% of the country wanted one thing and 50% wanted another. A compromise deal is what should have been the goal.

I don't supprt TMs deal, purely because of the potential for being locked in the transition indefinitely.

However, a deal like that, that ends unresitricted free movement, yet allows controlled sensible migration, a deal that allows trade to continue smoothly, aking to what is does now, is feasible, as it is what has been negotiated. The backstop has been the saving grace of those wanting to make Brexit as difficult as possible.

It is possible to have a deal that keeps both 'happy', or not livid at least,  if it excludes the aspects that both see as worse.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

Seems implausible. I don't think May has any wish or intention to try to push through a no-deal. She is , at heart, a Remain supporter.

And she's said she won't be in charge for the next election so we would need another bit of Tory blood letting whilst they have another leadership election. She might as well just toss corbyn the keys to number 10 and save time.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And she's said she won't be in charge for the next election so we would need another bit of Tory blood letting whilst they have another leadership election. She might as well just toss corbyn the keys to number 10 and save time.

I think the next gm whenever it is will be a different thing to ones we have seen in the past. I can't see either party staying in their current forms for much longer. Both are dinosaurs. I don't know many (any?) people who particularly support either, as they may have done in the past.

20 minutes ago, retep said:

May's last hope?

The ERG's last hope more like. Keep in mind the Labour Party's official policy since their conference last September is for a general election in preference to another referendum.