The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Nation states are in effect in competition though, so they routinely and deliberately harm each others economies (hence why being in the EU is a good thing).  I can't see how a legal framework to stop that competition could exist.  Clearly Trump and China are doing harm to each other right now with a trade war...

29 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Nation states are in effect in competition though, so they routinely and deliberately harm each others economies (hence why being in the EU is a good thing).  I can't see how a legal framework to stop that competition could exist.  Clearly Trump and China are doing harm to each other right now with a trade war...

China has been conducting a unilateral trade war with the USA for 20 years.

The USA has been seen its industry stripped away year on year, with imports increasing and in return the USA has been able to export debt (the debt the USA needs to keep its broken economy afloat) to China.

It is the one major thing Trump has recognised and called completely correctly.

China might argue that it has a lower cost base and that what you are describing is simply competition and capitalism in action.

Tariffs on the other hand are very much an act of economic aggression.

5 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

China might argue that it has a lower cost base and that what you are describing is simply competition and capitalism in action.

Tariffs on the other hand are very much an act of economic aggression.

It might argue that but it would be wrong. Tariffs are not the only form of economic aggression. A country can construct barriers to entry to its internal markets. Few companies from outside China would be able to break into Chinese markets for anything other than respected high mid-range brands to luxury goods. The infiltration of any other brands is effectively prevented. China is very good at that.

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

But will be voted in regardless.

Our country doesn't like change on the whole - which is why brexit was such a shock - but its also why, with the aid of the press, nothing will change on our political landscape whether we get a hard, soft or no brexit. It will somebody else's fault.

Do many young people even get news from the press nowadays? It's them who will be choosing who governs us in ten years time once many of the brexiteers are gone.

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-suicide-warning-if-exit-turns-chaotic-rjlhwb2n0

There appears to be some kind of scare tactics goping on with Government Minister saying they're preparing for economic armageddon. I wondered if the risk of suicide warning was part of that? 

Very scary thought :(

Yes I saw the suicide story.

Utterly irresponsible

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/19/wto-brexit-trade-uk-economy

The myth persists that anything that promotes free trade promotes British interests. Brexiteers promote a fantasy ideal of the WTO being the answer to all Britain’s problems despite the libraries of research that argue that its rules lead to the impoverishment of countries that have to rely on them. Because Brexiteers misunderstand Britain’s past, they believe that Britain has a “special relationship” to world trade. They cannot fathom the damage that relying on WTO terms to govern trade with our largest trading partner will do to the economy, even if it is obvious to rest of the world.

Edited by Magilla

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

Do many young people even get news from the press nowadays? It's them who will be choosing who governs us in ten years time once many of the brexiteers are gone.

I'm not a young person so I don't know where they get their news from but its a fair point. One hopes it's not from social media or they will believe any old rubbish in the same way their grand parents believe half the filth the express churns out.

But, like all of us, their views will change as they get older and some will end up looking at their past in far more favourable way than it actually was.

1 hour ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes I saw the suicide story.

Utterly irresponsible

Yeah we're all doomed the UK is set to fall apart on the 29th March at 11am. 

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

Funnily enough ive been thinking the same all long while this charade had been going on. Theres even a band called The NoWTO combo, im not entirely sure what the politics of it is but theres obviously enough bad stuff about the WTO to have an opposition to it. Funny thing is, "most" of the negative aspects of the EU are made up and used for propaganda purposes but then they want to jump straight into bed with an organisation thats built in a similar mould.

32 minutes ago, AntiBrexit said:

Yeah we're all doomed the UK is set to fall apart on the 29th March at 11am. 

It’s been falling apart since end June 2016 (and arguably, ina social sense, since much earlier); but May’s bit of PR about no deal preparations yesterday, and the EU Commission’s contingency action plan  announcement today, are pretty much precipitating things now.

It’s fascinating, in a voyeuristic, “witnessing-the-worst-ever-pile-up-in-slow-motion” sense.

Really finding it hard to believe that you are doing this to yourselves. So publicly, as well. Your political reputation and soft power is truly shot.

Edited by L00b