The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

35 minutes ago, apelike said:

But that just means exactly what you have written and nothing else.

I also think the police should be looking at DExEU annoucements and timing of currency fluctuations. Especially during 2016-17

Edited by I1L2T3

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Maybe it is time we had a written constitution... 

And to go with that a PR voting system. I think its the one gamble Cameron made that paid off as AV was not very popular as the resulting low turnout showed. I think it was where Clegg screwed up as previously he was all for PR and then must have been persuaded to change his mind to AV.

Just now, I1L2T3 said:

I also thin the police should be looking at DExEU annoucements and timing of currency fluctuations. Especially during 2016-17

But will that alter anything? Unfortunately anyone with money to spare could profit from the mayhem and those with money to spare were also backers for the peoples vote and marches. We have had our own share of people on SF boasting how they also made money because of it.

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

And to go with that a PR voting system. I think its the one gamble Cameron made that paid off as AV was not very popular as the resulting low turnout showed. I think it was where Clegg screwed up as previously he was all for PR and then must have been persuaded to change his mind to AV.

But will that alter anything? Unfortunately anyone with money to spare could profit from the mayhem and those with money to spare were also backers for the peoples vote and marches. We have had our own share of people on SF boasting how they also made money because of it.

Of course it would alter things. Don’t you want to know if we have corrupt government officials and politicians, and who they might be working with.

How can May in all conscience take this country to the brink in a cause that as a Remainer she has no conviction for,and furthermore to take it to the cliff edge to a possible conclusion that only a rabid few right wingers want.

We are now to add a couple more billions to support her threats when she should be listening to business leaders and the majority of Parliament and the country who fear a No Deal Brexit through sheer bloody mindedness on her part.

Her stance may have had some bearing on negotiations 2 years ago,but at this stage of the game it’s gambling with all our futures,but particularly for the younger generation.

She,the Conservative Party and the Labour Party should stop playing power games and do the job that they were elected to do,and profess to be their reason to enter politics.

First and foremost,look after the interests of the population and fight to avoid this worst type of Brexit by default.

1 minute ago, I1L2T3 said:

Of course it would alter things. Don’t you want to know if we have corrupt government officials and politicians, and who they might be working with.

I think that proving it may be a bit hard considering the vast majority? of MP's seem to have other jobs, are on boards of companies or have other outside interests. Allowing MP's to do so is another problem in our political system as they should not hold any other job but the one the public pays them for.

14 minutes ago, RJRB said:

How can May in all conscience take this country to the brink in a cause that as a Remainer she has no conviction for,and furthermore to take it to the cliff edge to a possible conclusion that only a rabid few right wingers want.

We are now to add a couple more billions to support her threats when she should be listening to business leaders and the majority of Parliament and the country who fear a No Deal Brexit through sheer bloody mindedness on her part.

Her stance may have had some bearing on negotiations 2 years ago,but at this stage of the game it’s gambling with all our futures,but particularly for the younger generation.

She,the Conservative Party and the Labour Party should stop playing power games and do the job that they were elected to do,and profess to be their reason to enter politics.

First and foremost,look after the interests of the population and fight to avoid this worst type of Brexit by default.

I agree it's like an tug of war pull this way fall off the edge pull that  way fall off the edge. Perhaps it's time for both parties to work has one but May and Corbyn would be a match from hell. 

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

It's clear that the deal is basically the best the EU has to offer, so Parliament has a choice, it accepts the deal or goes for a no deal. As much as I'd like the third option, remain, I dont see that happening and we certainly dont have the politicians to bring the country together regardless of what happens.

The other possibilities, Norway etc are non-runners.

Hopefully, this will focus the minds of the MPs, the majority of whom don't want a no deal and it also provides some insurance against a no deal actually happening. 

I liked the idea which has been floated of indicative votes, but I suspect that would show that there isn't a majority for anything except not having a no deal, which brings us back to where we started. The second referendum carries the same risk. 

She could, of course, resign, but that doesn't change anything and leaves the country visibly leaderless while the governing party self-immolates. While that would be fun to watch, it doesn't help the situation.

If you are in a mine field and have a 1 in 1000 chance of surviving, you have to concentrate on that one chance.

16 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think that proving it may be a bit hard considering the vast majority? of MP's seem to have other jobs, are on boards of companies or have other outside interests. Allowing MP's to do so is another problem in our political system as they should not hold any other job but the one the public pays them for.

It may be a problem, but the solution isn't to stop them as that would produce a group of people more separated from the real world than they are now. 

What we need are people who have done real jobs going into politics, staying there for a bit, then letting someone else have a go.

You might follow May (or Boris or corbyn if you prefer) blindly into a mine field but I'd really rather somebody either had a plan or turned back. We dont need to walk into this mine field. 

1 minute ago, CaptainSwing said:

I see that a couple of fairly senior Tories - Nick Boles and Anna Soubry - are saying (or at least implying) that they would support a vote of no confidence in the government in order to try and prevent a no-deal.  Good on them for putting the country before their careers.  I wonder if the two that have gone public are the tip of a somewhat bigger iceberg?

Link here, though that's a live blog and may be out of date by the time you read it.

I imagine there are a few others, probably not enough to bring down the government.

the downside of doing that is what comes next and whether that would make a no deal exit less likely.

Perhaps a third option could be keep the UK in the Single Market and Custom Union which would help the manufacturing industry out and the Northern Ireland border issue. I know some Brexiteers would say no leave means leave but an comprise is needed for keeping people in work and keep trade frictionless. Maybe in the future after trying life outside of the EU for a set time have another referendum to see if the mood has changed or too many problems for trade to remain outside of the EU or rejoin on the understanding of going fully in . 

I do agree with what John Major said awhile back theirs too many fantics but even they must understand is they can't have everything their way it simpley will not work. 

Edited by AntiBrexit

Don't panic, We aren't leaving without a deal in a million year's.  Any government who takes us over that cliff edge is destined to be out of power for at least the next 100 years. 

18 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You might follow May (or Boris or corbyn if you prefer) blindly into a mine field but I'd really rather somebody either had a plan or turned back. We dont need to walk into this mine field. 

The important thing to remember is that we may be in the rough on the edge of the minefield but haven't actually stepped into it yet!