The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

i'm not sure you understand what the word 'net' means...

Or maybe you don't?

We pay in more than we receive back. Others receive back more than they pay in.

We are net contributors, they are net recipients. So it is impossible for us to be the lowest payer, based on population or gdp, a sthe other poster made out.

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-one-biggest-contributors-eu-budget/

Can you clarify what you think is wrong?

A bit of essential reading that wouldn’t hurt some posters. Sobering.

And one of the main reasons why there isn’t going to be another referendum or a GE before March’19.

Assuming an accidental crash-out doesn’t happen, MPs will vote the “Canada” deal through. So will the EU Parliament and the rest of the democratic chambers across the EU.

Give it 10 years, maybe even less, and most of the benefits of EU membership enjoyed by the British people and economy as a matter of course for the past 4 decades, will have completely faded from collective memories.

We only had one in '75 to join the EEC and one in 2016 to leave the EU.

Other countries had them on EU enlargement, Maastricht, Lisbon etc our governments of the time didn't bother.

Just to correct bothe of you we have never had a referendum to join.

We had a referendum to support, or not , staying in the EEC in '75...

Looked it up, you are quite right.

Our applications to join were vetoed by France ( ! ) in 1963 and 1967. We Joined in 1973, with a referendum following in 1975, to approve retaining membership.

Our applications to join were vetoed by France ( ! ) in 1963 and 1967. We Joined in 1973, with a referendum following in 1975, to approve retaining membership.

Yes, quite correct - my mistake. Still, it makes it 1-1 so best of 3 ? :D

The key word is 'export' and Germany are an export nation unlike the UK which is an import nation. Germany have been rubbing their hands at the UK's expense for many years especially after the EU expanded to give Germany more tariff free export markets. Germany are the biggest contributor to the EU budget, but it is good value for them because they benefit from a big trade surplus. However, the UK are one of the biggest contributors to the budget, but because the UK have such a massive trade deficit with the EU, the UK contributions are far from good value for money

Really?

Let's see your working out, imports/exports, goods, services, contributions etc.

Not sure what point you are trying to make because balance of trade figures include both goods and services. It's a fact both Germany and the UK are both big net contributors to the EU budget. It's a fact Germany have a big balance of trade surplus with other EU members, but the UK have a big balance of trade deficit with other EU members.

I want to see your working out to support your claim below, figures would be nice, don't forget to include services too.

"Germany have been rubbing their hands at the UK's expense for many years especially after the EU expanded to give Germany more tariff free export markets. Germany are the biggest contributor to the EU budget, but it is good value for them because they benefit from a big trade surplus. However, the UK are one of the biggest contributors to the budget, but because the UK have such a massive trade deficit with the EU, the UK contributions are far from good value for money"

We had a referendum to support, or not , staying in the EEC in '75...

With 67% voting to stay in!

I think you are wrong about contributions per head of population because the BBC have the UK ranked the 7th largest net contributor per head of population.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm#start

The UK have the late great Margaret Thatcher to thank for negotiating a rebate from the EU resulting in lower contributions as a percentage of GDP.

and thats what politicians are for :thumbsup: do you think later politicians have failed in their duty? should we have pushed to change things in the EU and get better deals? rather than just run away?

as for those arguing the toss about how how much we pay and how much we get back off the EU, thats not the point, the point is we have a decent economy, the countries with better and bigger economies and revunue pay more to support the less off countries. thats how "friends" should be. Thats why we pay more than others, we are better off.

but not for long :rolleyes:

and thats what politicians are for :thumbsup: do you think later politicians have failed in their duty? should we have pushed to change things in the EU and get better deals? rather than just run away?

as for those arguing the toss about how how much we pay and how much we get back off the EU, thats not the point, the point is we have a decent economy, the countries with better and bigger economies and revunue pay more to support the less off countries. thats how "friends" should be. Thats why we pay more than others, we are better off.

but not for long :rolleyes:

David Cameron pushed to change things before the referendum vote and was unsuccessful in obtaining meaningful changes.

I support the UK giving foreign aid, but the reason the UK joined the then EEC was for economic / trade reasons and not for charitable reasons. The UK taxpayer are not getting good value for money when the UK is one of the biggest contributors to the EU budget and has a massive trade deficit with the other combined EU members. Not contributing to the EU budget will be a positive factor after the UK leave the EU.

---------- Post added 09-10-2018 at 17:43 ----------

Nicola Sturgeon should look up about the veto because Spain are more likely than ever to use the veto, to prevent a future independent Scotland from joining the EEC.

Luckily, in 2016 people had woken up to the poisonous EU and voted to get the hell out of that farce.

I voted in the 1975 referendum to stay inside a trading block. I also voted to remain in 2016. But the EU is no longer just a trading block. I voted with my head instead of my heart but I'm against another referendum.