The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Maybe this could be the answer to our post Brexit economic woes!

Legalising cannabis 'would raise £1bn in tax for the UK' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44648817

I hope so, I own a massive industrial unit and the day it becomes legalised I will be entering the cannabis growing business myself....

I hope so, I own a massive industrial unit and the day it becomes legalised I will be entering the cannabis growing business myself....

Good luck with that. Any legalising of cannabis will be for medicinal use only. I can’t see the government allowing it for recreational use yet.

We as a nation are already the largest producer of medicinal cannabis. So how are you going the break the monopoly in the UK exactly? You haven’t thought this through have you?

What monopoly?

It will eventually be legalised for recreational use, it's going to take a few more years though.

Thank you for clarifying. I posted the link as an example of a positive new story for the UK, not everything is Brexit. And yes I know this thread is about Brexit but there's nothing wrong with a little positivity
Well, the fundamental problem with your objective and that particular BAE story, is that it’s only “positive” for BAE shareholders, not for “the U.K.”: the ship-building and -fitting jobs, the ecosystem of services and consumption which these jobs support, and the income and indirect taxes borne by the lot, are all going to “Australia”.

At best, all that “the U.K.” will see from this, is whatever corporate tax BAE ends up paying on the profits of that contract, that it’s accountants can’t manage to hide away. Given that this is the armaments industry we’re talking about, I wouldn’t bank on a windfall in that respect just yet.

It’s a good example of ‘globalisation’ of trade (which has always existed, really; only it was called “international trade” then), and a good illustration of BAE’s global competitiveness amongst arms manufacturers. But it’s got sod all relevance to ‘Brexit’, even from afar.

Edited by L00b

Can I take it from that comment that you've never actually been anywhere?

As someone who travels extensively in Europe it is the best thing to happen in Europe in the last thirty years. (the introduction of the €uro was the second best thing)

^^ this...just got back from a european driving holiday...did about 8 countries no faff at any border (except a delay at Zeebrugge while they checked everyone's passpoert etc as we were coming from the UK. a non Schengen country) no hassle changing currency 8 times either...

Good luck with that. Any legalising of cannabis will be for medicinal use only. I can’t see the government allowing it for recreational use yet.

We as a nation are already the largest producer of medicinal cannabis. So how are you going the break the monopoly in the UK exactly? You haven’t thought this through have you?

It will eventually be legalised and regulated like it is in the US and people like me will be able to enter the market.

It may take a few years but in the mean time the place is bringing in rental income for me.

The war on drugs is lost and is actually costing us a load of money to enforce....

^^ this...just got back from a european driving holiday...did about 8 countries no faff at any border (except a delay at Zeebrugge while they checked everyone's passpoert etc as we were coming from the UK. a non Schengen country) no hassle changing currency 8 times either...

Yes, one of the biggest items of fake news from The Mail, The Express, The Sun, the BNP, the EDL, UKIP and other assorted cranks and xenophobes is that we have an open border.

The passport queue at Heathrow at busy times, often takes longer to negotiate than the INS queue at JFK, Newark and Boston even with all their constantly changing Homeland Security regulations. :mad:

I recently came across this book. I heartily recommend it to anyone, Leaver or Remainer or “undecided/don’t care” alike, for an insight into the human dimension of Brexit, still mostly out of the whole debate, here and generally.

Accessorily, it also gives an insight into my personal feelings on the matter (all aside from political and economic points and debating on here).

Teresa May urged fellow EU leaders to tell their negotiators that the UK should be allowed to continue to take part in schemes like the Prum mechanism for sharing DNA profiles, the Second Generation Schengen Information System - a database of "real time" alerts about certain individuals - and the European Criminal Records Information System.

So we want to leave the EU, stop paying any money into it but still have the benefits of being in it.

No wonder the EU negotiators are rapidly starting to regard May, Davis and co as a bunch of utter clowns! :mad: