The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Donald Trump,the leader of the worlds largest economy which is built on immigration states that the major reason for the Brexit vote was the fear of immigrants.

I agree with him,and blame the deliberate confusion of differentiation between illegal immigrants and refugees and the right to free movement of EU citizens.

This was the real and telling Project Fear.

It was understood, if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would be leaving the single market. Any discussions the UK have had with the USA since the referendum vote about a future trade agreement, will have been with the perception the UK are leaving both the single market and customs union. If the UK are moving the goalposts, then whatever has been provisionally agreed with the USA about future trade agreements are no longer valid. UK steel workers are going to London today to demonstrate about tariffs on UK steel, but the tariffs are on UK steel as a consequence of the UK still being in the EU.

President Trump is only making the UK aware of the consequences of the UK not completely leaving the EU.

You can't keep repeating that the choice was simply whether to leave the EU or not, and then start claiming that it was also a referendum on whether to have an EFTA style arrangement, because the EFTA nations are not in the EU

David Cameron made it clear before the referendum vote, if the UK left the EU, then the UK would leave the single market...

...Politicians don't always tell the truth..get over it.

Exactly, truman. I wouldn't give much credence to what Cameron said at the time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-david-cameron-resign-step-down-boris-johnson-brexit-stay-as-prime-minister-result-poll-a7088811.html

You're obviously having a hard time with the fact that we may not be leaving the SM...

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 10:16 ----------

Is that why he's imposed tarriffs on Chinese steel? I never realised China was in the EU...you learn something everyday...Trump left Canada and.would you beleive it after all he's said,Mexico out of the tarriffs..he could have left the UK out if he'd wanted to..

The EU was exempt from US steel tariffs. The US decided to remove the steel tariff exemption. How could Trump have exempted the UK from steel tariffs, when the UK are still in the EU? He imposed tariffs on Chinese steel because China are exporting too much cheap steel to the USA.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 11:03 ----------

You can't keep repeating that the choice was simply whether to leave the EU or not, and then start claiming that it was also a referendum on whether to have an EFTA style arrangement, because the EFTA nations are not in the EU

The choice was simple. It's the politicians, who still don't accept the EU referendum result , who are complicating matters. The best and fairest solution now, would be for the UK to walk away with a no trade deal with the EU.

it is dishonest to try and rewrite history, to imply voters regardless of which way they voted were not aware the UK would be leaving the single market, if the UK voted to leave the EU.

Can I stop you there for a moment.

A year after the referendum I was discussing 'the future' with some Brexit supporters in Barnsley and only one of them could tell me what the single market actually was. So if, as you claim, it was discussed endlessly during the referendum campaign, it was not understood by many of those who actually voted to leave.

Many also thought that the referendum meant an end to ALL immigration, further demonstrating that they had no real understanding of what the single market is and its relationship to freedom of movement.

The choice was simple. It's the politicians, who still don't accept the EU referendum result , who are complicating matters. The best and fairest solution now, would be for the UK to walk away with a no trade deal with the EU.

Which politicians don't accept the referendum result?

Jean Claude Juncker on fine form at the recent NATO summit.

His days must be numbered surely.

Can I stop you there for a moment.

A year after the referendum I was discussing 'the future' with some Brexit supporters in Barnsley and only one of them could tell me what the single market actually was. So if, as you claim, it was discussed endlessly during the referendum campaign, it was not understood by many of those who actually voted to leave.

Many also thought that the referendum meant an end to ALL immigration, further demonstrating that they had no real understanding of what the single market is and its relationship to freedom of movement.

It's irrelevant if some people people, who voted to leave didn't understand the consequences of the UK leaving the EU. All voters are adults and the electorate were warned about the likely consequences of the UK leaving the EU. It was up to individual adults, which way they choose to vote. I decided to vote remain because I had not been convinced the UK would be any better off, by leaving the EU. I respect the wishes of those, who voted to leave for whatever reasons and don't insult them, by saying they didn't know what they were voting for.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 11:36 ----------

Which politicians don't accept the referendum result?

Those who want the UK to stay in the single market and customs union. Those who want the UK to leave the EU in name only. Those, who want another referendum or some vote with the intention of blocking the UK leaving the EU.

It's irrelevant if some people people, who voted to leave didn't understand the consequences of the UK leaving the EU.

An "informed" electorate is essential to democracy as we know it, so it's not in any way irrelevant ;)

I would have thought that someone so well informed about Democracy and what it means should be very concerned about that! :suspect:

All voters are adults and the electorate were warned about the likely consequences of the UK leaving the EU.

There you go, leaving the SM was never a certainty, only a likely consequence. Clearly, since doing that is now looking increasingly bad for the UK's prosperity, there is no reason we can't stay in it.

The referendum result, as you now admit, in no way prevents that.

Was that a tiny slip of "honesty" with yourself creeping in there. I think it was!

Edited by Magilla

It was understood, if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would be leaving the single market. .

It's irrelevant if some people people, who voted to leave didn't understand the consequences of the UK leaving the EU.

Make your mind up..it either was understood or it wasn't...

Those who want the UK to stay in the single market and customs union. Those who want the UK to leave the EU in name only. Those, who want another referendum or some vote with the intention of blocking the UK leaving the EU.

What are their names?

As for your no-deal suggestion. Let's not forget Northern Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement.

Oh yeah, I remember now, you don't care about the Good Friday Agreement.

You might want to check the news to see what's going on there in the last few days. Now imagine a hard border being in place.

Those, who want another referendum or some vote with the intention of blocking the UK leaving the EU.

Why do we need another referendum?

It has become clear now what a mess this whole thing is so someone now needs to put an end to it. That is the job of the government (of whatever political hue), which has to grow a pair and revoke Article 50 in the national interest.

Yes, the Brextremists will scream and shout but they are now in an ever diminishing minority.