The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Oh dear!

Trump accuses May of 'wrecking Brexit' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-44815965

Another interfering foreign power, who, by the sounds of it, won't deal with us unless it's on his terms and his terms don't involve the single market or anything like it. So the rather than us having a modicum of influence within the EU we are going to get pushed around by bigger players in this case the ever so slightly unhinged, trade war starting, protectionist Donald trump. Is this what a hard brexit will look like?

Trump’s arrived at a great time, bury the fallout from the terrible white paper under Mistr Bombastic’s noise.

As expected, the Financial Sector is livid about the lack of mention of services. I know, I know, bad bankers don’t matter yadiyadida... but our economy is heavily dependent on it whether we like bankers or not. If there is no reversal soon, this whole sorry episode is going to throw this country right back to the seventies, but now with a crippling national debt to boot.

Gove has already promised no reduction in farming standards and food quality, so in theory there never could have been a trade deal anyway since the US will insist this must be part of any deal.

Any US trade deal was always on shakey ground. Not to mention that any dispute will be arbitrated by non-UK bodies (i.e Rule taking, not rule making).

Australia got a US trade deal and their GDP fell, didn''t work out well for them.

Edited by Magilla

Thank you for the educating posts, very informative. So I could say then, the 29,000,000 we are discussing were actually Brexiteers and not Remaoners.

Angel1.

The term you are looking for is “Reminders”. Those people who voted to remain and now keep reminding brexiteers just how bad the decision to leave the EU is for the UK.

Another interfering foreign power, who, by the sounds of it, won't deal with us unless it's on his terms and his terms don't involve the single market or anything like it. So the rather than us having a modicum of influence within the EU we are going to get pushed around by bigger players in this case the ever so slightly unhinged, trade war starting, protectionist Donald trump. Is this what a hard brexit will look like?

It was understood, if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would be leaving the single market. Any discussions the UK have had with the USA since the referendum vote about a future trade agreement, will have been with the perception the UK are leaving both the single market and customs union. If the UK are moving the goalposts, then whatever has been provisionally agreed with the USA about future trade agreements are no longer valid. UK steel workers are going to London today to demonstrate about tariffs on UK steel, but the tariffs are on UK steel as a consequence of the UK still being in the EU.

President Trump is only making the UK aware of the consequences of the UK not completely leaving the EU.

It was understood, if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would be leaving the single market.

Understood? Who by? All the 17million who voted Brexit? I doubt it..

Indeed. If you think we're getting shafted by the EU, just wait until trump gets started.

David Cameron made it clear before the referendum vote, if the UK left the EU, then the UK would leave the single market. The issue of the single market was well discussed before the referendum vote and it is dishonest to try and rewrite history, to imply voters regardless of which way they voted were not aware the UK would be leaving the single market, if the UK voted to leave the EU.

David Cameron made it clear before the referendum vote, if the UK left the EU, then the UK would leave the single market. The issue of the single market was well discussed before the referendum vote and it is dishonest to try and rewrite history, to imply voters regardless of which way they voted were not aware the UK would be leaving the single market, if the UK voted to leave the EU.

Where was it written in the Referendum? Is Cameron's speech all you have? Politicians don't always tell the truth..get over it..

Where was it written in the Referendum? Is Cameron's speech all you have? Politicians don't always tell the truth..get over it..

Politicians from both sides informed the electorate that the UK would be leaving the single market, if the UK voted to leave the EU. I don't need to get over anything because I accept the referendum result.

It was understood, if the UK voted to leave the EU, then the UK would be leaving the single market.

Not according to the majority of leavers, or the official Vote Leave campaign.

Any discussions the UK have had with the USA since the referendum vote about a future trade agreement, will have been with the perception the UK are leaving both the single market and customs union. If the UK are moving the goalposts, then whatever has been provisionally agreed with the USA about future trade agreements are no longer valid.

Nothing has been agree'd. Liam Fox's attempts to get any agreement were described by the Americans as "turning up to Wimbledon with a table tennis bat".

Like all the Brexiteers, Liam couldn't deliver anything.

UK steel workers are going to London today to demonstrate about tariffs on UK steel, but the tariffs are on UK steel as a consequence of the UK still being in the EU.

Not so, the US could quite easily have not included the UK.

President Trump is only making the UK aware of the consequences of the UK not completely leaving the EU.

No hormone injected beef, no chlorinated chicken, no reduction in workers rights and working conditions... sounds like a bargain! :hihi:

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 10:03 ----------

Politicians from both sides informed the electorate that the UK would be leaving the single market, if the UK voted to leave the EU.

Only Cameron promised it, most of the leavers offered many different flavours of Brexit, some of which were to remain in the SM.

Cameron is gone, Leavers won!

I don't need to get over anything because I accept the referendum result.

Problem is you clearly don't understand it! :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

Politicians from both sides informed the electorate that the UK would be leaving the single market, if the UK voted to leave the EU. I don't need to get over anything because I accept the referendum result.

You're obviously having a hard time with the fact that we may not be leaving the SM...

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 10:16 ----------

I UK steel workers are going to London today to demonstrate about tariffs on UK steel, but the tariffs are on UK steel as a consequence of the UK still being in the EU.

Is that why he's imposed tarriffs on Chinese steel? I never realised China was in the EU...you learn something everyday...Trump left Canada and.would you beleive it after all he's said,Mexico out of the tarriffs..he could have left the UK out if he'd wanted to..

Edited by truman