The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

You need to answer some questions from further up, before firing new ones out.

Come on, the 'democratic influence' thing was nonsense, you know it, everyone else knows it.

So, under what trade agreement are you exporting under?

Come on, the 'democratic influence' thing was nonsense, you know it, everyone else knows it.

So, under what trade agreement are you exporting under?

Only questions, never any answers, I see now why you are happy delegating decison making to others.

Only questions, never any answers, I see now why you are happy delegating decison making to others.

Under what trade agreement to you currently export under?

Remember, we all have a different opinions. I'm not trying to trick you or 'win' an argument, only explaining why my opinion is what it is. I don't mind what you believe, that's what a democracy is all about.
I’m aware -and tolerant, would you believe- of divergent opinions, and am not trying to trick you either: I’m just logic-testing your own argument, to see whether it is borne from pragmatism (worth debating SFAIC) or from nationalism (worth ignoring, again SFAIC).

I’m aware -and tolerant, would you believe- of divergent opinions, and am not trying to trick you either: I’m just logic-testing your own argument, to see whether it is borne from pragmatism (worth debating SFAIC) or from nationalism (worth ignoring, again SFAIC).

OK. I prefer regional autonomy, whether that requires breaking away from the UK, is debateable, that can only be decided by the region in question.

In terms of the EU, we chose to break away, the reason would have been very diverse, ranging from the sensible to the extreme, and logical to the wrong. Same as the the divergent reasons people wanted to stay.

Final brexit deal could be reached by next Wednesday- The EU blocs chief negotiator says = https://news.sky.com/story/final-brexit-divorce-deal-could-be-reached-by-next-wednesday-eu-11522903

But it also looks like the DUP will start throwing spanners in the works if they don't like it.

DUP 'could vote against the Budget' over Brexit deal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45806063

But it also looks like the DUP will start throwing spanners in the works if they don't like it.

DUP 'could vote against the Budget' over Brexit deal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45806063

There's not much detail in any of the stories regarding what the actual deal proposal is, but if the DUP are kicking off about having to barscan all cows, instead of 10% in the sea crossing, then it's a sad indication of the entrenched mentality that is unfortunately so common in NI politics.

I agree with your first points. They can't represent all their consitiuents because we don't have PR. As you say, many have other jobs, and many are career politicians. It needs a shake up.

But the same can be said for MEPs.

I'm not saying our parliament is perfect, far from it. I dispair of it a lot of the time. However, it is closer under our influence than the european parliament.

I simply don't like the dilution that it brings.

I’m not suggesting they can ever actively represent all their constituents.

But they can in certain policy areas actively work against the interests of the majority of their constituents. The MP in thrall to lobbyists who are working to accelerate the privatisation of the NHS as an example.

Corporate influence overriding constituents’ interests

I’m not suggesting they can ever actively represent all their constituents.

But they can in certain policy areas actively work against the interests of the majority of their constituents. The MP in thrall to lobbyists who are working to accelerate the privatisation of the NHS as an example.

Sure. But how is that different in UK politics and EU politics? The cronyism needs to stop whether it be there or here.

Because, by your own words, you favour further regionalisation over further centralisation.

We can also -or alternatively- consider your sovereignty argument under the light of the government-acquired emergency legislating powers. For instance.

If required, primer in simple enough terms in this very interesting article.

The Tories (this crop anyway) have very powerful centralising instincts.

The Tories (this crop anyway) have very powerful centralising instincts.

Perhaps so. Corbyn has claimed to support regionalised power in the past, not sure where that sits now.