The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

1 minute ago, SnailyBoy said:

What do you understand of the term 'empathy'?

The ability to understand the feelings of another, yes I do... Unfortunately the remainers of SF seem to disagree with the definition.:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

Not going there, you can keep on casting.

Maybe thats because nothing has/will change except to introduce a £65 fee which as pointed out was first put forward in June and not done on the quiet.

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

The ability to understand the feelings of another, yes I do... Unfortunately the remainers of SF seem to disagree with the definition.:rolleyes:

So expanding that, how do you think EU citizens living and wanting to remain in the UK feel about the residency requirements/process, including the £65 fee?

Edited by SnailyBoy

15 minutes ago, apelike said:

Not really on the quiet though as the fee had already been announced by Javid in June.

So what has changed except for introducing a £65 fee? 

“So what has changed apart from”

What a dismissive phrase.

I wish that all the electorate would at least take the opportunity to consider what has changed in the meaning of Brexit since 2016.

The facts and probabilities are so much more evident now,and may have confirmed or altered your views.

Everyone is entitled to their views ,but for Politicians,news commentators and individuals to say that  a People’s vote  is undemocratic ....well that Is undemocratic.

Whatever the outcome,I would feel that it is a decision that is taken with the best information available to the electorate.

Remainers are accused of calling Brexiteer’s stupid for voting to leave.

We may disagree but I am sure that there are similar levels of intelligence on either side of the divide.

What is stupid is failing to consider all the ramifications in taking into account all known information,whether taking personal decisions,business decisions or Brexit.

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

So expanding that, how do you think EU citizens living and wanting to remain in the UK feel about the residency requirements/process, including the £65 fee?

Sorry Dr.Fraud I cant say as I have not spoken to any and am not lying on your couch.

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Maybe thats because nothing has/will change except to introduce a £65 fee which as pointed out was first put forward in June and not done on the quiet.

You keep telling yourself that, and in the meantime leave us in ever less doubt about your views on life and equitability.

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

“So what has changed apart from”

What a dismissive phrase.

I agree, trouble is I never stated that!

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Sorry Dr.Fraud I cant say as I have not spoken to any and am not lying on your couch.

Well, it's kind of linked to the whole empathy thing.

I'll help you, I think they'll feel pretty bad about it all, especially the worry that after a long process and all the uncertainty,  they might be deported.

Put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel about it?

Lest you forget,, apelike:

During the EU referendum campaign, Tory Vote Leavers repeatedly stated that EU citizens living in Britain had nothing to fear from Brexit. As Boris Johnson and Priti Patel, said on June 1: “There will be no change for EU citizens already lawfully resident in the UK. These EU citizens will automatically be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and will be treated no less favourably than they are at present.”

Edited by L00b
link fix

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

You keep telling yourself that, and in the meantime leave us in ever less doubt about your views on life and equability.

And this is from someone who was quick to bail out and leave because of money.. I think that says a lot! To quote a line from Gone With the Wind "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

You chose to bail as soon as you could and yet tzijlstra chose to stay both were choices but one I respect more than the other.. Care to guess which one!

6 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Well, it's kind of linked to the whole empathy thing.

I'll help you, I think they'll feel pretty bad about it all, especially the worry that after a long process and all the uncertainty,  they might be deported.

Put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel about it?

Thanks for the help but not really needed.

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

Thanks for the help but not really needed.

Come on, you can say it too.

You don't have to fly the flag all the time.

21 minutes ago, apelike said:

And this is from someone who was quick to bail out and leave because of money.. I think that says a lot! To quote a line from Gone With the Wind "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

You chose to bail as soon as you could and yet tzijlstra chose to stay both were choices but one I respect more than the other.. Care to guess which one.

Because of money?

Do you want to substantiate that with a quote, or retract it? Your choice. I've explained my reasons for Brexiting early aplenty, tons of material for you to support your assertion. Happy searching.

I don't know you, so couldn't care less about your respect for my life choices. Honest debating, rather than unsubstantiated ad hominem, will do.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, apelike said:

So apart from the £65 registration fee what has changed?

Nothing, still a complete and utter uncertainty about the future of my family and me. Pretty shambolic I’d say, considering the government has had not only 2 years of time to decide, but ample opportunity for a quid pro quo ‘all rights enshrined’ reciprocation by the EU.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Have a lie down on my couch. Two years ago I obtained a job that I want to make my career. Permanent academic jobs are notoriously hard to get, and although I don’t hold a full academic post, I do have the sort of role that will keep me happy going forward. My HE employer is regularly sending updates that forwarn what could happen as a result of Brexit. Recently my department got ‘restructured’ and several people at my level lost their jobs. Not a direct consequence but yet another forwarning. Similarly, my wife works for an HE employer that is very dependent on EU funding and international students is constantly cutting its cloth to size. 

We’ve been meaning to move house for a year and a half now, holding off because of Brexit. Moving when you lose your job is a daft idea. So my commute remains at least two hours a day and often reaches four a day. Simultaneously we don’t know if I’ll be eligible to get a mortgage as a ‘settled’ person, do you know? Does that mean we need to push ahead now anyway?

We’ve asked about the status of my pension and that of my legal entitlement to my wife’s after her retirement, not got any sensible answer ‘we don’t know sir’, likewise we don’t know whether to go ahead with  combining our Dutch pensions with our UK pensions, something we were going to do after me obtaining a permanent post. Can you tell me what status my (currently protected, freely transferable without incurring tax in two nations) pension will hold under settled status?

What about healthcare? How long until I will be expected to pay for the NHS as an ‘immigrant’?

For the past two years I’ve sought to obtain UK citizenship, but my government tells me repeatedly that this will mean giving up my Dutch (and EU) passport.

Our lives are on pause, we can’t future plan, we have no certainty and we have no guarantees that the offered ‘certainty’ means anything to anybody. 

in the meantime people like you cast aside these concerns, creating an underbelly sense of being unwelcome in my own country.

Thanks for that.

Edited by tzijlstra