The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

47 minutes ago, apelike said:

Why? It is common knowledge that referendums in the UK are of an advisory nature unless parliament decrees otherwise beforehand as they did with the AV referendum. But parliament can also rule that the result of an advisory referendum can also be enacted upon especially so here as they knew Cameron had also promised the people the same. The mistake Cameron and parliament made was expecting an overwhelming remain vote and not planning at all for a leave vote. 

So the results of referendums can be ignored by Parliament then. Cameron’s promises were similarly not legally binding, and no government is bound in any way by them in legal terms.

If a politician makes a mistake then there is no compulsion to realise the consequences of that mistake. 

This is all all going to be of vital importance in the aftermath. Even (currently) diehard Brexiters are going to use these arguments to weasel out of any sense of responsibility.

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

What do you mean by court challenges? I’ve never heard of that.

The same as what Gina Miller did as the only way to dispute the legality of a government or parliamentary decision is to take it to court.

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

So the results of referendums can be ignored by Parliament then. Cameron’s promises were similarly not legally binding, and no government is bound in any way by them in legal terms.

It no longer matters that Cameron's promises were not legally binding as parliament have already accepted and approved them, and we have now moved on from that debate as it is a meaningless argument.

6 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Even (currently) diehard Brexiters are going to use these arguments to weasel out of any sense of responsibility.

Its basically the same as corporate responsibility where the employees (substitute for voters) are not responsible for the actions of the executive (substitute parliament). 

Edited by apelike

17 hours ago, melthebell said:

That's all good and well, but what any country in the eu feels, I don't really care. I live in the UK so care about what happens to us.

They have 27 economies, we have 1, safety in numbers.

It's funny, isn't it?

When forecasts about the economic impact of Brexit on the UK are raised, it's "Project Fear", but when forecasts about the economic impact of the UK not paying its dues to the EU27 are raised, it's "cake and eating it", "the EU is doomed", "they need us more than we need them", etc,

Meanwhile, the French group Vinci just took majority ownership and control of Gatwick airport for £2.9bn, thanks to the devalued £. Must be what Brexiteers meant by "taking back control" 😏

Edited by L00b

Meanwhile v2.0,  yesterday the Home Office also confirmed post-Brexit residency requirements for EUalreadyinUK. On the quiet of course.

For his £65 fee to keep the right to stay in his own home and job, perhaps tjizlstra can organise a whip round of all those Brexiteer SFers who consistently posted that 'nothing would change' for settled EU migrants for the past 2+ years?

Slow clap, lads, slow clap.

15 minutes ago, L00b said:

Meanwhile v2.0,  yesterday the Home Office also confirmed post-Brexit residency requirements for EUalreadyinUK. On the quiet of course.

For his £65 fee to keep the right to stay in his own home and job, perhaps tjizlstra can organise a whip round of all those Brexiteer SFers who consistently posted that 'nothing would change' for settled EU migrants for the past 2+ years?

Slow clap, lads, slow clap.

You butchered my name ;) the sentiment is correct though. Not only that - nobody has actually bothered to explain what ‘settled’ means. So as pointed out before, in ten years time some Sajid Javid type might decide that I am akin to the current ‘Windrush’ generation. 

4 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

You butchered my name ;) the sentiment is correct though. Not only that - nobody has actually bothered to explain what ‘settled’ means. So as pointed out before, in ten years time some Sajid Javid type might decide that I am akin to the current ‘Windrush’ generation. 

I apologise profusely :blush:

"Settled means settled"

33 minutes ago, L00b said:

Not really on the quiet though as the fee had already been announced by Javid in June.

35 minutes ago, L00b said:

.For his £65 fee to keep the right to stay in his own home and job, perhaps tjizlstra can organise a whip round of all those Brexiteer SFers who consistently posted that 'nothing would change' for settled EU migrants for the past 2+ years?

So what has changed except for introducing a £65 fee? 

14 minutes ago, apelike said:

Not really on the quiet though as the fee had already been announced by Javid in June.

So what has changed except for introducing a £65 fee? 

Since around 1973, 3 millions EUinUK came, settled, contributed, loved, married, built lives and families. Likewise for 1.5 millions UKinEU.

Free of charge, with more-or-less equal rights to natives, bar some voting rights.

The Leave campaigns all promised the EUinUK that nothing would change for them. Now they have to pay £65 a head (50% for kids) and hope and pray that their application is successful, for simply staying in their homes, their jobs, with their loved ones, else they be deemed illegal immigrants under threat of deporting.

The current trial run of the system is reportedly shambolic, at a 2,000 applicants per week through-rate. The required average through-rate between the start live date of  system (in 83 days) and the transition end date, is 29,000 applicants per week. This will end well.

I can see that you are apparently content with this government-sanctioned goal post moving pitch relocating being done in your name. You really should feel so proud :roll:

Edited by L00b

5 minutes ago, L00b said:

Since around 1973, 3 millions EUinUK came, settled, contributed, loved, married. Likewise for 1.5 millions UKinEU.

Free of charge, with more-or-less equal rights to natives, bar some voting rights.

So apart from the £65 registration fee what has changed?

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

What do you understand of the noun 'empathy'?

Edited by SnailyBoy

Just now, apelike said:

Not going there, you can keep on casting.

Edited by L00b