18 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

I hope you had a cup of tea in-between all that☕

I made one afterwards.... it was very nice :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Magilla said:

with biscuits?

1 minute ago, andyofborg said:

with biscuits?

Too early for the biscuit I'm afraid. Toast soon tho....

1 hour ago, BrexitGuy said:

As for the politics afterwards, that wasn't the concern of the average Joe as we have politicians to do that for us

politics isn't something you can outsource like cleaning or ironing. the attititude that it is has directly led to the rise of the PPE posh boy/girl with no experience of real life and no empathy for the ordinary person in the street.

instead politics, and brexit in particular, has been reduced to little more than a game of wet-towel tag in the dorm.  

If there could be a common ground between both camps then it would have been possible to come up with a solution but there is nothing.

There could have been.  Rather than being bounced into Article 50, the government should have embalked on a national conversation, with panels and all sorts to explore each option and explain the consequences. Those on either edge will never be reconciled to anything but their own fantasy, but a consensus where everyone else was more or less content could have been

reached.  

22 minutes ago, Magilla said:

it's never too early for biscuits, and you can't dunk toast.

As for the politics afterwards, that wasn't the concern of the average Joe as we have politicians to do that for us and regardless of which way it went, the general public have a government to iron out the crinkles and make the people's wishes develop. 

How's that working out for you so far?

The reason for the mess, is precisely because the referendum was ill-thought out and its question far too simple.

Such is the way of populism, since the year dot: it promises soundbite solutions to highly complex problems for appealing to voters perplexed / confused / frightened by these problems' symptoms; then crashes hard at the delivery stage, because the complexity of these problems doesn't go away with electoral success.

Your free choices, as a voter in a democracy enjoying unimpeded access to information, are at all times to either (i) exercise research and critical thinking to inform your opinion and vote; or (ii) confirm your bias; or (iii) not particularly care either way and go with gut feel. None of those pre-supposes high or low intelligence to begin with...but a refusal to acknowledge and process facts (as opposed to opinions) is not a good look for someone supposedly intelligent. 

Edited by L00b

10 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

paragon of democracy Putin has declared that May must respect the will of the people.

Couldn’t make this up.

Brexiters are Putin’s poodles

Putin understands how  UK democracy works. The difference between the UK and Russia is that Russia have a system of managed democracy. The Russian system of democracy would suit all the people, who still want the UK to remain in the EU  because their state's policies always remain unchanged after their people vote in elections.

glad to hear that, but tea is nothing without digestive biscuits.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

3 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

And the remain camp only managed 34.73 of the entire electorate that turned out. And you are right, we don't need a second referendum as the first one had a majority. 

Do you think there's a majority for Brexit now?

12 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

glad to hear that, but tea is nothing without digestive biscuits.

I'll just do what you do and imagine they existed :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

53 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Putin understands how  UK democracy works. The difference between the UK and Russia is that Russia have a system of managed democracy. The Russian system of democracy would suit all the people, who still want the UK to remain in the EU  because their state's policies always remain unchanged after their people vote in elections.

That is the most stupid post about politics  I’ve ever read on here.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

You standing ready to "vary your diet" yet?

Apparently that is part of the advice about to be dispensed to Britons by Whitehall Brexit planners.

😂

13 hours ago, L00b said:

The EU isn't enforcing austerity in Italy, the populist joke that passes for the current Italian government is maintaining it through its ineptitude. 

Now, can you try and make a cogent argument for a change, instead of disingenuously misrepresenting my post with your strawman?

I'm asking once, in the clear, and nicely. Next one like that I'll just report.

The EU is absolutely enforcing austerity on Italy.

The democratically elected coalition government want to introduce a mild pro-growth budget which includes a basic income for the poorest people (over 5 million in Italy live in absolute poverty). But fiscal discipline, not people, is what is important to the EU.  So the non-elected EU threatened the elected Italian government with an Excessive Deficit Procedure which could have led to a fine of about €9 billion if it did not capitulate.

The coalition government wants to spend to stimulate growth in the economy, boosting consumption and employment, as EU austerity measures have failed - creating terrible poverty without cutting the national debt.

So basically austerity, which hasn't cut debt, is being used to placate the markets. The EU, as always, puts the markets before people. 

https://euobserver.com/opinion/143593