The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

While May was getting a pasting, the EU was just getting on with it.

EU parliament approves Japan trade deal in what is being called the world’s biggest:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/12/12/business/eu-parliament-approves-japan-trade-deal-called-worlds-biggest/#.XBIEMc2nybI

Easiest job in the world agreeing trade deals. I expect Liam Fox could knock one up in an hour or so. 😉

7 hours ago, apelike said:

That's probably because the economics of it was not the main reasons why most people voted leave, it certainly didn't factor in why I voted leave.

You will factor it in if the economy tanks. You’ll have no choice.

Or maybe Brexiters will just find something or somebody else to irrationally blame for all their problems. 

21 minutes ago, taxman said:

Easiest job in the world agreeing trade deals. I expect Liam Fox could knock one up in an hour or so. 😉

Well it could have been with a Norway-style deal. We could have made a medium term commitment to that and negotiated it over the last two years, with a view to maybe moving away from it completely over a decade or so. We’d be done and dusted now and looking forward to March 2019 with minimal trepidation.

It took decades to reach our level of integration with the EU. Leaving will take decades too, if people are honest about it. And with those sort of timescales you can’t predict what the world will be like in 10 years let alone 20.

A cautious, softer, more gradual approach was always best but Brexiters are too blinkered and short sighted to understand that.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

But no, protest vote and/or mild xenophobia, those were the most common reasons for voting leave.

It'll all be very amusing if/when freedom of movement is bundled into the inevitable trade deal we have to cut with the EU.

14 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

Okay, so following your logic then a persons last will and testament shouldn't be honoured because they wont be around.  Shameful.

Wills can be challenged and can be overturned in court...

17 minutes ago, geared said:

It'll all be very amusing if/when freedom of movement is bundled into the inevitable trade deal we have to cut with the EU.

Without freedom of movement for goods, the new trade deal above most likely means that it'd be cheaper to make cars for the EU in Japan than the UK.

If you factor in "country of origin" rules which, as I understand it even under Mays deal we're subject to, definately so.

9 hours ago, apelike said:

That's probably because the economics of it was not the main reasons why most people voted leave, it certainly didn't factor in why I voted leave.

Just shows how short sighted "Leave " is then...how can you do anything without a reasonably healthy economy..?

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No, it was definitely you who said it.

?

I can see now why you post so much. Misquote, misread,

If there are any bubbles, you are certainly in one.

10 hours ago, apelike said:

Begs the question what reasons do you think prompted most people to vote leave,and in particular what motivated you.

23 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Begs the question what reasons do you think prompted most people to vote leave,and in particular what motivated you.

At a guess a  bus with "£350 million a week" daubed on it, and something about immigrants.

I'm really interested to see how their precious Brexit will stop them:

Fourteen migrants rescued from Dover shipping lane

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46519306

3 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

At a guess a  bus with "£350 million a week" daubed on it, and something about immigrants.

Quite, the leave campaigns own data shows they wouldn't have stood a chance without that, it was the decisive promise.

Irony being it was the first to fall :?

Edited by Magilla

Immigration was the #1 reason people voted to leave. Sovereignty was #2 athough a poll on the eve of the vote for Newsnight I think, which showed that the NHS lie on the bus played a large part in people's voting intentions.

11 hours ago, apelike said:

We were given the full supposed economic consequences of voting to Leave in the government booklet sent to every household in the UK.

Remainer politicians, celebrities and rich businessmen told us all about the supposed consequences of a Leave vote.

We were under no illusion about the supposed economic consequences of Leaving the EU. We still voted to Leave, in huge numbers.

I didn't vote for any deal on Leaving. I voted to Leave, and gave the poor a pay rise in doing so.

Austerity?

Blame the government, the Bankers and the EU!

Edited by Car Boot