The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

1 hour ago, bendix said:

As much as I hate to agree with Farage about anything, I think his forecast is spot on.  The deal will be defeated by a whopping number next week, and Parliament will come together to seek an extension of article 50, perhaps for a year or two.  

In the constitutional crisis that follows, a binary No Deal v Remain option will be put to the people again.  I can't see any other outcome.  It doesn't matter how loudly the blowhard extremists shout, Parliament will quite rightly not allow a No Deal Brexit to happen in March, and not without public endorsement.  

Bendix, hope your right..

1 hour ago, bendix said:

In the constitutional crisis that follows, a binary No Deal v Remain option will be put to the people again. 

Which Remain should easily win but it would be interesting to see how many people would vote for No Deal.

Despite almost everyone saying that no deal would be disastrous for the UK, you still see a good number of people interviewed on various current affairs programmes including Question Time who seem to be militantly advocating a no-deal Brexit.

The people of this country should have the final say on the outcome of this fiasco. 

No deal  or  remain.. end of, no ifs or buts.

12 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Which Remain should easily win but it would be interesting to see how many people would vote for No Deal.

Despite almost everyone saying that no deal would be disastrous for the UK, you still see a good number of people interviewed on various current affairs programmes including Question Time who seem to be militantly advocating a no-deal Brexit.

James O'Brien is good on this subject on LBC radio.  He points out that those supporters are voting very much on an emotional level, and no amount of evidence or rationality will sway them.  When asked to defend their position, flat platitudes come out, such as 'taking back control of our laws and borders'.  When asked which laws they mean, they can't name any.  I asked a Brexiteer recently which European laws affected their day to day lives - their salary, their tax rate, their NI, their pension, who cleans the streets in their neighborhood, and how often the bins were collected.   Of course, all i got was soundbites and nonsense about freedom of movement.  I asked him if he knew that we are totally in control of our borders and that EU rules have provisions to deny permanent settlement if people don't have jobs in three months.  Of course, no reply.

It's disheartening.

To be honest, I'm not so convinced Remain would easily win.  

Time will tell.

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes but what you are ignoring is that nothing is set in stone.

A manifesto does not commit a government to do something and law can be enacted about matters not included in any manifesto.

I agree nothing is set in stone but you still fail to understand that the decision of the referendum was legally passed into law.

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Parliament voted overwhelmingly to enact Article 50 and that same government can vote to halt it.

Yes parliament did vote on it however its only parliament that can overturn that decision by having another vote, providing that under EU law it can be unilaterally withdrawn as well. Something we still as yet have no confirmation on from them.

4 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

All of that can be reversed 

So far we have no confirmation that A50 can legally be withdrawn, until we have confirmation saying it can then it cant.

7 minutes ago, apelike said:

I agree nothing is set in stone but you still fail to understand that the decision of the referendum was legally passed into law.

No offence, but you're just making this up.  Your sentence doesnt make any sense.  Nothing was legally passed into law.  Any referendum under UK law is advisory only.  

As for your other comments, nonsense.  No second referendum is needed to revoke Article 50.  Again, you're just making it up.  We live in a representative democracy.  The legal right to revoke Article 50 is Parliament's  alone.

2 hours ago, bendix said:
9 minutes ago, bendix said:

No offence, but you're just making this up.  Your sentence doesnt make any sense.  Nothing was legally passed into law.  Any referendum under UK law is advisory only.  

Its fairly simple. The triggering of A50 was passed into law by parliament because of the outcome of the referendum result and the promises made by the government to enact the outcome despite it being advisory only. Therefore leaving the EU is a democratic parliamentary decision.

Sorry but I can seem to change the edit!

Edited by apelike

27 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You say that, but there'll be another very dirty campaign.

Politics live just had Richard Tice (founder of Leave Means Leave) saying they're already gearing up for another referendum.

They're going to run on a "betrayal of the people" ticket, NOT the supposed benefits of leaving the EU. :rolleyes:

As before, they're going to try to avoid discussing anything tangible (for obvious reasons) and just go for more emotive hysteria.

12 minutes ago, bendix said:

As for your other comments, nonsense.  No second referendum is needed to revoke Article 50.  Again, you're just making it up.  We live in a representative democracy.  The legal right to revoke Article 50 is Parliament's  alone.

I didnt say a second referendum was needed to revoke A50 only a parliamentary vote. Parliament can only revoke A50 if the EU agree that it can be unilaterally revoked and so far we do not know if that is possible as that legal decision has yet to be made by the EU.

Edited by apelike

4 minutes ago, bendix said:

The poster isn't  making it up. It was passed into law shortly after article 50 was triggered.    European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017

3 minutes ago, Magilla said:

You say that, but there'll be another very dirty campaign.

Politics live just had Richard Tice (founder of Leave Means Leave) saying they're already gearing up for another referendum.

They're going to run on a "betrayal of the people" ticket, NOT the supposed benefits of leaving the EU. :rolleyes:

As before, they're going to try to avoid discussing anything tangible (for obvious reasons) and just go for more emotive hysteria.

Also plenty of brexiteers are prepared to dig their heels in and vote for "no deal" to make the point they have not been listened to. I know at least two who have said that. They really don't care if it unleashes economic chaos (and why would they? They are retired on nice fat pensions with the mortgage paid off, so it won't affect them so much).

I think a second referendum would still be a close run thing

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Flown in by who? The military?

Civil aviation will be effectively grounded by a no-deal exit from the EU.

Project Hysteria. The sooner  the UK give notice we will leave the EU without a deal then the sooner new agreements can be sorted out regarding such matters as aviation.