The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

The same way as we used to.

How was that then...?

The problem is we provide funds to the EU, they then take a proportion of that for administration and then we may get some back from what is left. Just like any large organisation the EU costs a great deal to run and maintain. It may sound trivial that only 6.3% is for administration with 3% for wages but from a budget of €160 billion in 2018 that works out at over €6.5 billion.

That is all entirely irrelevant.

Whatever EU membership cost and however that cost is broken down, our economy benefitted massively from being a member of the EU. The last time I went to Marsh Lane it cost me a tenner to set up a stall. Not a huge amount of people turned up and I had a poor pitch but I still made over £300

By your argument I should have not paid the £10 and stayed at home and made nothing, but rubbed my hands in glee for saving a tenner.

What we pay to the EU is nothing in comparison to the economic benefits we get from our membership.

Immigration is not just about Black or Brown faces either.

Oh I see.

Well, you're correct, it's not.

But many brexit voters did actually want to reduce the number of immigrants, they thought that meant from India and Pakistan for example.

It's pretty stupid isn't it, to think that leaving the EU would reduce immigration from the indian subcontinent... But it happened.

I enjoyed today’s news about Dyson new electric car plant in Singapore (not -on-Thames) :twisted:

EDIT: speaking of emergency budgets that didn’t happen, here’s a handy refresher.

Dyson does it's manufacturing in South East Asia already the R & D is done in the UK so this has nothing to do with Brexit.

Dyson does it's manufacturing in South East Asia already the R & D is done in the UK so this has nothing to do with Brexit.

Thats all good and well, all brextremists are doing is "proving" anything remainers say is wrong, you are not proving we will be better off, all we see is companies movng operations (for whatever reason) out of the country, personally all i see is that getting worse after brexit, NOT better? is there anything yet to show countries might be moving their companies operations here in readiness for brexit?

That is all entirely irrelevant.

Whatever EU membership cost and however that cost is broken down, our economy benefitted massively from being a member of the EU. The last time I went to Marsh Lane it cost me a tenner to set up a stall. Not a huge amount of people turned up and I had a poor pitch but I still made over £300

By your argument I should have not paid the £10 and stayed at home and made nothing, but rubbed my hands in glee for saving a tenner.

What we pay to the EU is nothing in comparison to the economic benefits we get from our membership.

This argument about us giving money to the EU is tosh. If you check your tax statistics paper which gives information where your personal tax was spent last year, it will show that the net EU contribution per taxpayer is a few quid each (on the average salary). Mine was around £22, but my salary is in the mid 80ks.

A few quid each - seriously.

Your visa to Marbella in 2020 is going to cost more than that alone :-)

Dromedary

Why should we pay farmers anything? The greatest proportion of the money given out actually goes to the already very rich landowners.

farming in this country is completely un-economical. without subsidies*, all farmers will struggle, many will go bust.

(*there are reasons that this is a good thing, i don't want farmers hammering the landscape for all the profit they can get. i like that there is money available for a decent amount of natural protection/enhancement)

"how are we going to keep funding science and industrial research?"

"how are we going to keep funding regional development?"

The same way as we used to.

oh, you mean really badly?

yes, it's possible that the british government will continue to subisidise farming, regional development, science and industrial research, to the current levels.

but they need to get on with it! - they've had more than 2 years, and done nothing at all to make it happen. Huge government departments need to be created, and funded, and staffed-up, and trained.

all of this work and money needs to be delivered just to fill the gap left by leaving the EU. it'll be an enormous job just to stand still.

the lack of action so far, the total dis-interest, the complete absence of any kind of acknowledgement of the problem is an terrifying indication of the replacement funding streams this government will provide.

ie, none at all.

Edited by ads36

There's a real delicious irony that voters from the Brexit heartland areas like Stoke, Lincolnshire, the North East and South Yorkshire are the VERY people who will suffer the most as a result of their vote, as EU subsidies dry up and as increasing number of companies put UK investment on hold.

Bugger them, frankly. I have my exit strategy and dont need to worry about jobs etc. Those ill-informed Brexiters are going to get exactly what they voted for, and much more besides.

What a happy chappy you are. The bitterness and downright spoilt brattiness shines through. I wish all the best for all people who vote with their convictions, for any party or subject of non-hatred, even if I disagree vehemently with their opinion.

Sad to see the spirit of tolerance and concepts of democracy dismissed so readily.

All Dyson products were made in the UK (in Wiltshire) until 2003 when James Dyson (who once said the decline in uk manufacturing was a tragedy and eroding our culture) decided to move production to Malaysia and Singapore.

Asia will be the major market for the sort of electric vehicle that Dyson will produce. I can understand why he would manufacture the vehicle there instead of in a country that, come end of March 2019, will have no trade arrangements with anywhere.

What a happy chappy you are. The bitterness and downright spoilt brattiness shines through. I wish all the best for all people who vote with their convictions, for any party or subject of non-hatred, even if I disagree vehemently with their opinion.

Sad to see the spirit of tolerance and concepts of democracy dismissed so readily.

Do you support a vote on any final agreement we may come up with?