The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

Mrs May's problem is that she's tried to please everybody, but has ended up pleasing nobody.

You can only compromise when the other side is also willing to compromise, something the EU has consistently said it will not do. However she has continued down the same relentless path and got nowhere.

She's never going to get her plans past the Commons and she's not going to get her plans past the EU without yet more change. And time is running out. I hope they have hard brexit back up ready.

It's the people who voted to remain and still don't want the UK to leave the EU, who are questioning people's opinions who voted to leave the EU. The actual people, who voted to leave the EU are not questioning why they voted to leave or future relationships with the EU. The actual people, who voted to leave the EU are only complaining because they don't think the UK are really going to leave the EU.

---------- Post added 13-07-2018 at 12:31 ----------

Because the majority of parliament don't want the UK to leave the EU and seek for the UK to leave the EU in name only.

The EU fundamentally consists of the European Commission, the European Parliament, European Central Bank, European Court of Justice, the Council of the European Union and the European Court of Auditors. Provided the UK leaves those institutions then the referendum result has been respected. The future relationship with the single market is separate to the basic question asked in the referendum.

Mrs May's problem is that she's tried to please everybody, but has ended up pleasing nobody.

You can only compromise when the other side is also willing to compromise, something the EU has consistently said it will not do. However she has continued down the same relentless path and got nowhere.

She's never going to get her plans past the Commons and she's not going to get her plans past the EU without yet more change. And time is running out. I hope they have hard brexit back up ready.

Hard Brexit + Northern Ireland = Massive problem.

Quite, it wouldn't be any different with anyone else though, other than it might have reached critical mass and imploded earlier.

She has no choice. Government knows how bad walking away would be, they're talking martial law & curfews within weeks behind closed doors, according to The Times.

Of course, more project fear, but would you like to risk it if you had to take the flak?

Hence no serious high profile Brexiteer has stood forward to challenge her, least of all Mogg, no chance.... they're not that daft.

They haven't even started tendering for the computer systems that will be needed once we leave EU institutions (because then accurate quotes will come in and everyone will freak out, again), let alone upgraded ports or started to think about land compulsory purchase orders for the lorry parks we'd need on no-deal.

Exactly. Mrs May is in a catch 22 situation. The only solution is to leave the EU completely and accept WTO rules, if the EU won't agree to continue tariff free trading with UK. At least then, the people who voted leave and knew what they voted for should be happy.

UK.gov is ready to talk data safeguards with the EU – but still wants it all

The UK government has insisted it's in the European Union's best interests to grant it a souped-up agreement on the protection and sharing of personal data post-Brexit and wants to start talks now.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/12/ukgov_data_adequacy_eu/

Comments on these articles are always good:

Dear club we just stormed out off in a fit of rage

Can we still do all those things in the club that we liked doing whilst we were in the club? Whilst we're still out of the club? Because we don't want to be in the club anymore. But we still want to do those things. So let's find a way of doing all the nice club things. Without being in the club obviously. Because that makes perfect sense.

All this shuffling around, requests to be half-in half-out of many of the EU agencies like Europol and Euratom. Convoluted schemes to prevent a hard border in Ireland, admissions that we will all be worse off when the UK leaves, not to mention Galileo, makes me wonder why we should bother if all we are going to do is lose out.

Exactly. Mrs May is in a catch 22 situation. The only solution is to leave the EU completely and accept WTO rules, if the EU won't agree to continue tariff free trading with UK. At least then, the people who voted leave and knew what they voted for should be happy.

That's a very small percentage of the country sorted then...what about the rest?

Northern Ireland

I feel very sorry for her. She was handed a poison chalice, and I believe she has genuinely tried her best with it. I admire her fortitude. Anyone else would have thrown the towel in and walked away, so credit for that. But she really wasn't the right person for this Herculean task.

I feel very sorry for her. She was handed a poison chalice, and I believe she has genuinely tried her best with it. I admire her fortitude. Anyone else would have thrown the towel in and walked away, so credit for that. But she really wasn't the right person for this Herculean task.

To be more accurate, she elected to take the poison chalice.

They haven't even started tendering for the computer systems that will be needed once we leave EU institutions.

Am I the only one who saw the interview on C4 news with some of the engineers involved in developing 'technological solutions' to customs control?

a) These solutions are only in the development stage.

b) Given the trillions of pounds/Euros in revenue that they will be responsible for, they will not be accepted for operational use until they have been thoroughly and robustly tested, and

c) this will not happen until 2025-6 at the earliest.

Looks like a very long transition period which could see at least two general elections in the UK.

Meanwhile, as a consequence of the referendum result OVER 2 YEARS AGO, John Cleese has announced he is leaving the UK to move to Nevis in the Caribbean, placed on the OECD's blacklist of non-coperative nations said to be involved in tax evasion & money laundering.

Congratulations to Mr Cleese to have enough money to be able to be welcome in such a place. No doubt at some point he'll be back in the UK working but having his salary paid directly back to Nevis while being interviewed about the decline of the NHS, state of UK public transport, etc.