The Consequences of Brexit [part 5] Read 1st post before posting

BUT having done so, HMG cannot now resile from the Referendum decision

But the crux of this whole thing was that it was not a decision.

If the referendum had been backed by an Act of Parliament compelling the government to act, as in the case of the Alternative voting system referendum, then yes.

But it wasn't.

It was effectively a poll on the matter which showed that in June 2016, there was no real appetite to withdraw from the EU. And claiming that anyone who didn't vote has no say in the matter is a nonsense. Participation in referendum was not compulsory, its result was not binding and it was only being held as a sop to the right of Cameron's party.

I agree: Referendum not binding.

But asking the question itself indicates a wish to obtain a decision on the issue.

That is now to be implemented.

Compare 2016 with 1974

1974 Pro EU 64% Anti EU 20%

2016 Pro EU 34% Anti EU 36%

The difference is that in 1974, most of us were voting for a common market, not the European Union it is today.

"The fragility of the EU is increasing," warns EU Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker. "The cracks are growing in size."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44632471

And that overshadows the UK exiting the EU on its ar5e WTO terms, how exactly?

The history of the last 70-odd years shows that the EU, in its various successive guises, is a project in progress, always has been, and adapts to overcome adverse developments and conditions under the collective, pooled steerage of its members, always has done.

The UK is looking in the abyss, on the eve of an economic correction, starkers and with plutocrats pushing hard at its back, with many of those captive within it cheering them on.

I'm highly confident that you'll get your just desserts. Regrettably I'm equally confident those who'll have led you there, won't. Such is life.

Edited by L00b

You have clearly shown you have no respect for the referendum result or any respect for the wishes of the people who voted to leave the EU.

I have respect for the people who voted to leave the EU but even more respect for the majority of people in all parts of the U.K. who did NOT vote to leave.

If we had a yes/no referendum on whether everyone should be given 10 million pounds next Xmas, I'm sure that the overwhelming majority would vote in favour but I wouldn't expect any government to take the result seriously as it would be almost impossible to do and would screw the economy at the same time.

How many jobs are being created here?

---------- Post added 28-06-2018 at 19:50 ----------

You have clearly shown you have no respect for the referendum result or any respect for the wishes of the people who voted to leave the EU. The fact is 52% voted to leave and 48% voted to remain, which makes leave the winners in a democratic vote. The winner in any referendum is the option which receives over 50% of all votes counted. A referendum is the fairest way to decide which of two options for a democratic society to follow regarding a single issue. In a General Election in the UK, no ruling party has received over 50% of the vote since before the Second World War. For you to recycle the old chestnut that the referendum result was only advisory, shows your utter contempt for the democratic process. The fact is the UK Prime Minister has accepted the advice of the democratic UK people and the UK are leaving the EU. Imagine the outcry, if Remain had won the EU referendum and the UK Government did not to accept the advice of the democratic people and decided to exit the UK from the EU.

In light of the now very frequent revelations about the leave campaigns why should the result be respected?

Serious question.

How many jobs are being created here?

Im sorry I wasn't part of negotiations for the trade deal. Try asking the defence secretary or Theresa may

Im sorry I wasn't part of negotiations for the trade deal. Try asking the defence secretary or Theresa may

How will it benefit our economy?

Yes but it will still benefit.our economy

Yes, but so would a complete collapse of sterling which would benefit that section of our economy which trades in currency, but I wouldn't cheer if it happened.