Petition to save Seven Hills swimming pool

Seven Hills pool has only been open for 5 years & is unique in its offering, catering for the children of Sheffield & surrounding areas who have SEN needs. Their hydropool is one of few in the area & very important to the children that use it, helping with movement & pain relief. The pool also offers swimming lessons to children locally & is well used.

Following talks with the local council, Seven Hills school propose to close this important facility to replace it with a gym which would be of very little use to the children. They state they cannot afford to keep the pool even though the swim school have offered to contribute financially & make up any difference. Please help us save the pool

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-sevenhills-swimming-pool?bucket=

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and any signatures would be greatly appreciated.

So the "swim school" could afford to finance the pool?

Could you give us some figures?

It is a wonderful resource for the disadvantaged kids, but very expensive when calculated per session.

Seven Hills will be looking at how that money could be better spent.

When I first saw the design I commented that an opportunity had been missed.

A larger pool should have been built and the profitable hire income could have subsidised the Seven Hills pool.

As it stands, the pool is limited by virtue of its design as to the external income that it can generate.

Edited by cgksheff

Seven Hills pool has only been open for 5 years & is unique in its offering, catering for the children of Sheffield & surrounding areas who have SEN needs. Their hydropool is one of few in the area & very important to the children that use it, helping with movement & pain relief. The pool also offers swimming lessons to children locally & is well used.

Following talks with the local council, Seven Hills school propose to close this important facility to replace it with a gym which would be of very little use to the children. They state they cannot afford to keep the pool even though the swim school have offered to contribute financially & make up any difference. Please help us save the pool

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-sevenhills-swimming-pool?bucket=

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and any signatures would be greatly appreciated.

Signed ? have you shared on Facebook? XX

So the "swim school" could afford to finance the pool?

Could you give us some figures?

No unfortunatly I'm just a parent so I don't have access to figures. I was told that Shoals offered to pay whatever the school wanted and provide lessons to pupils free of charge but they still said no. They'd rather fill it in!

Thankyou for signing Hayes I will look into sharing it on facebook

For those of who don't know - Where is Seven Hills Pool and who controls it?

Seven Hills School is a state secondary school for students with severe learning difficulties and complex needs.

It is located on granville road, sheffield centre.

More details here:

http://www.sevenhillslearning.co.uk/swimming-pool.html

As part of redeveloping this space we are looking into providing a smaller, more cost-effective hydrotherapy pool.

Sorry to be a cynic but why was this detail omitted from the opening post and the petition page?

Edited by EmmaJones76

Sorry to be a cynic but why was this detail omitted from the opening post and the petition page?

A question best asked of the OP rather than alchresearch.

Yes, I thought the same, which is why I quoted that bit.

I got the impression it was a loaded post to garner support and get people to just sign the petition.

The OP also mentioned it was to be replaced with a gym. Whereas the school says:

We currently have the possibility of redeveloping the pool area to provide a large indoor space for leisure, P.E, well-being and therapeutic activities. We are committed to continue to provide hydrotherapy for those students who currently receive this. In the first instance this will be provided off-site. As part of redeveloping this space we are looking into providing a smaller, more cost-effective hydrotherapy pool.

Yes, I thought the same, which is why I quoted that bit.

I got the impression it was a loaded post to garner support and get people to just sign the petition.

The OP also mentioned it was to be replaced with a gym. Whereas the school says:

I agree.

Therefore I will not sign the petition.

Trying to pull the wool over people's eyes does not work. In fact it has the opposite effect.

I was not intending to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, apologies if it seems that way.

The petition must pre-date the schools statement as we were just told it was being filled in and there would be no more swimming facilities at seven hills.