City taxis Sheffield employed/self employed ?

Yes it comes down to a case of having your cake and eating it too.

You want drivers to be exclusive to one operator generally you have to employ them.

If you don't wanna pay sick leave, holiday pay, maternity leave or pensions you've gotta accept the terms that come with that method of employment.

Well I'm sure you can fill another thread with all the stuff they should/shouldn't and may/may not be doing ;)

No taxi driver will work for £9 an hour on the books when he can earn 4 times that or more self employed

Cake and eating it? Cake and eating it??

I'm sure both sides operate in a way that they feels benefits them most, and both probably like to have a good moan about the way the other behaves.

It's probably why the current status-quo exists, maybe it's not 100% correct but it's a setup both sides are happy with.

The drivers get paid the money they want and the taxi company administer their drivers in the way that suits them best.

Edited by geared

I see what you’re saying, but if all a taxi companies drivers behaved that way then the company wouldn’t last long because it would fail customers - and that goes for the OTHER taxi company the driver would be working for.

Unless the driver isn’t working for a second company but is instead illegally picking up customers who haven’t pre booked (which many of them do)

That's how drivers behave for Uber and they seem to be doing okay for a multi billion dollar international company...

I bet City pay more tax than Uber tho :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

£10 - £15 an hour for Uber apparently, there are a variety of anecdotal reports available.

That's how drivers behave for Uber and they seem to be doing okay for a multi billion dollar international company...

To be fair uber were literally losing billions per year, they only just turned a profit this year.

I don't think poober ever have or ever Will make a profit,too many other Apps getting on the bandwagon.After all its just a glorified radio system, same old same old!

but (also back to the original post) if City drivers are self-employed then that is exactly how they should be allowed to behave, because by their very definition they work for themselves and not for a company.

If they are tied down to a particular company it shifts the balance more towards being an employee (with attached benefits) than being self-employed.

The exact details of the contract and working conditions would need to be laid out in court to properly determine their status though, which I'm guessing city don't really want to go though.

When you agree to subcontract for a firm. It can be any firm any job. You agree to be bound by their terms and conditions. It can be not working for a rival company as one of them. Common sense really. Now if lets say a driver only works for city mon to fri. Then uber sat and sun then thats a different and more complicated story. I dont know how that would work?

No, it can't that would be an unenforceable contractual term.