City taxis Sheffield employed/self employed ?

City taxis based at attercliffe Sheffield tell drivers there not allowed to work for another taxi company while working for them and if caught you will have your equipment taken away how is this even legal as a driver were self employed as long as your not in arrears with rent why is it a problem just bully's on my opinion if you work for asda for 15 hours you can work for another supermarket for same etc control freaks

Hi. From the accounts I have heard, they do take a very hard line on anybody working for another firm.

I think it all came to ahead when UBER launched.

If you do want to work for another company, you could go truley self employed and get a hackney, that way you could work for City and do a bit on your own.

If not buying your own car and insuring your own vehicle while paying for your own tests plates badges and your own tax and national insurance isn't

Truly self employed then that's a **** employer

---------- Post added 28-06-2018 at 17:09 ----------

Truth is uber have rattled there cage and they don't have the monopoly they thought they had trying to get to big to quick and trying to be uber

Perhaps because no-one has actually challenged them in court over the matter?

There's been a few cases recently where companies have been found to be abusing the self-employed status.

One of the main points is being un-able to work for similar companies in the same field.

IF they are setting rules like that then they are becoming a employer. Someone should take them to court about and knock them down a peg or 2

Hi. From the accounts I have heard, they do take a very hard line on anybody working for another firm.

I think it all came to ahead when UBER launched.

If you do want to work for another company, you could go truley self employed and get a hackney, that way you could work for City and do a bit on your own.

Except that Hackneys are prohibitively expensive and you have to buy the licensed plates which are (or used to be) restricted in number.

[/b]

Except that Hackneys are prohibitively expensive and you have to buy the licensed plates which are (or used to be) restricted in number.

Hackney's are now restricted to 857 but the plate is now next to nothing in value.The Downside is the running costs which will get a lot worse soon when the council makes you buy/lease an electric vehicle which is £60,000(£90,000 with interest). by that time I will be retired I hope.what happened to the concern with nuclear waste??

whose PHV plate are they using ?

if it;s a company plate then even if someone is 'self employed' and provides their own vehicle etc they are tied to that company.

if the plate is the individuals and they are just renting a 'radio' then it;s a bit more complex ...

Video on Sheffield Online at the weekend of a City Car driver parking up down a back lane and having a crap!

whose PHV plate are they using ?

if it;s a company plate then even if someone is 'self employed' and provides their own vehicle etc they are tied to that company.

if the plate is the individuals and they are just renting a 'radio' then it;s a bit more complex ...

Yes, would also depend on the flow of money.

If the driver keeps all the money from fares and then pays for radio rental it's much more a self-employed role.

If all the money go's to City, who then pay the driver (minus fee's) then it's closer to the role of employee.

Yes, would also depend on the flow of money.

If the driver keeps all the money from fares and then pays for radio rental it's much more a self-employed role.

If all the money go's to City, who then pay the driver (minus fee's) then it's closer to the role of employee.

money flow is interesting

does City use an app where you can pay through the app or is it still drivers take the payment physically in the vehicle ( whether cash , card machine or a card reader phone dongle thing)

Not sure, the app they did have was total rubbish and rumour was drivers would often ignore it. Not sure if they improved it though.

Still they could take money through that, pass it onto the driver and take a small processing fee, that would not be seen as wages.