End of life care

How good is end of life care in the Uk?

Can it be improved?

Edited by petemcewan

Which end?

Get a life

Spending time with people moving to the beond has been very insightful and enlightening.

How many people pass in UK without supportive care I don't know. Some need it others are fine without it.

Hospice care is pretty good.

I've seen some dire happenings in NHS hospitals.

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 16:54 ----------

Get a life

Spending time with people moving to the beond has been very insightful and enlightening.

How many people pass in UK without supportive care I don't know. Some need it others are fine without it.

It's something which needs to be discussed. It sounds like you have some experiences. Maybe you could share your views.

[/color]

It's something which needs to be discussed. It sounds like you have some experiences. Maybe you could share your views.

Some people are frightened of it. Others are getting exited. I once did a job for an old woman fixing an appliance and she was singing and dancing to bbc1 unbelievable happy. A week later I heard she had passed away. I spend all my time with a friend dying. It was ever so helpful it stopped his worries and he left in a loving positive way. Being there with him was an amazing experience. I also had contact with a friend she had an accident and lived years in a coma state before her end. She left in an unconscious way

If someone is scared and frightened to die without any love or support it could be an awful lonely experience for them.

Those few who do struggle would benefit from support. I sometimes see old lonely people sit on a bench and sit next to them and talk to them. They have a lot emotional feelings and the more they become like children again higher the possibility their end is coming nearer.

Edited by dutch

A painless death is what most folk would consider a "good death" isn't it. That's what end of life care is all about, yes?.

Angel1.

It depends how much medical attention is required.

A mate of mine brought his wife home as she desperately wanted to die at home but her care requirements and pain relief got so complicated that the whole thing became a real mess, causing a lot of distress.

Medical staff have got so risk averse now that they have passed most decision making to the patient. In the above case, instead of saying 'Yes, if that's what you want to do' the hospital staff should have strongly urged them to keep her in hospital.

I would like to die consciously, awake.

Not asleep in a coma or drugged.

A lot of people don't get the choice! :(

My OH works in end of life care for the NHS and I can tell you that where he works, at least, they do try to give as much dignity and calm to the patient as possible. I can't guarantee the same for everywhere, but it's not the sort of field that encourages people without compassion into the work,

Usually, you die because of a disease, age-related or not. I've seen several, people die, 3 conscious and awake, massive trauma, but awake. Two of my parents were age-related disease, both given morphine, not so much, my mum, they just stopped treating, however, my father was in utter agony with cancer, so sleep was a relief. So unless you seek to go to a war zone and end it or seek a blunt trauma accident in a car, or get into a bad area and fall victim to bad people. You are not going to die consciously, awake. Not asleep in a coma or drugged. My view is the latter is less desirable.