Fusebox- switch won’t come back on

Thought we had a power cut at the TV wouldn’t come on- then found a switch with title “CD 263U” is off. Which I switch it back on it only lasts about 10 seconds as the microwave, boiler, washing machine etc power back on...then it flicks off again.

Before I have to start finding a local Electrician, is there anything obvious to try?

I would take EVERTHING out of plug sockets and check if the circuit breaker (I presume that's what cd263u is) stays on.

if it does not, your problem is probably in the wiring.

If it's OK, replace everything one by one and switch on. This may tell you what is at fault.

(I'm not a 'trician, but you will not be in danger trying this).

Heating devices are the most likely cause of the trip.

Unplug them ,don't just turn off.

See if it resets

If everything is off, sounds like an RCD protecting all the circuits.

If you are lucky it's a rcbo and it is only effecting sockets.

CDC263U is a Hager RCD. The advice above will allow you to determine whether it is an appliance or the wiring that is causing the RCD to trip.

Wiring faults don't usually occur unless someone has been working in the house, either on the electrics, or has damaged a cable doing other work.

If the wiring seems to be faulty, I would call an electrician out to investigate and fix the problem.

If you can isolate the cause to one faulty appliance, just unplug it from the socket if you can. If it is hardwired, again I would get an electrician to disconnect it so you can get the power back on.

Brilliant thank you. We’ve isolated it down to the dishwasher. Can plug everything back in. It is the dishwasher that finally trips it all out. Seems a bit odd being a dishwasher? Is only just a year out of its warranty.

My guess is to contact somewhere like DART to come take a look at the dishwasher?

Bigclive on YouTube has an interesting video of fault tracing for RCD trips.

It's nearly always an appliance rather than the fixed wiring.

And it's nearly always the kitchen where the fault is going to be with my experience.

Thanks- it seems it’s a fault with our dishwasher. It’s only 4 years old and DART are advising it’s so expensive to fix its not worth it :(

I had a problem once with a DW, fortunately in the garage.

It wouldn't work, can't remember if it was tripping a CB, but there was a considerable amount of water in like a shelf / tank underneath which I noticed when I moved it to try and investigate.

To cut a long story short, I left it at an angle to drain it off for a day or two and after it worked with no problem.

Coincidence? Maybe, that's the benefit of having it in the garage!

I also think DART are right for a 4 year dishwasher. Good luck!