Spitfires & Lancasters over Sheffield

We had a twin prop military aircraft fly over us at work middle of last week, don't know what it was, but it was really low...

I'm almost certain it was a WW2 light bomber as it had invasion stripes

from my office window at Manvers I'm facing north west & he was heading pretty much the same direction, so wouldn't necessarily have flown over the city

Sounds like the BBMF Dakota, which did a flypast of Barnsley last Wednesday afternoon:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/dakota/

Not a bomber, but historically significant nonetheless.

Thanks for that Angus P, that looks like it

I'll know for next time

amazing really how one sight of something like this and every time I hear aircraft now I'm gazing upwards...

I did see the Hurricane, Spitfire & Lancaster team a couple of times some years previous, and I've seen the Red Arrows, stirring stuff indeed

We get quite a few planes/helicopters fly over our house for Trooping the Colour. It's part of there route to the Mall. It's really cool seeing the Red Arrows. They had Concord flying with them one year which was amazing.

Spitfires, Lancasters, Dakotas all great aircraft but nothing thrills like a Vulcan. Once seen and heard never forgotten.

What a shame the last one is grounded. Take a look on YouTube if you never had the privilege.

Spitfires, Lancasters, Dakotas all great aircraft but nothing thrills like a Vulcan. Once seen and heard never forgotten.

What a shame the last one is grounded. Take a look on YouTube if you never had the privilege.

Where I lived as a kid there was an annual air show at an RAF base a few miles down the road. One year there was a Vulcan at the show. It made repeated flypasts each time banking directly above our house at quite low altitude.

Like you say if you ever saw it you would never forget it.

We get repeated fly overs of RyanAir's Boeing 737 service from Manchester to Amsterdam. That's quite a sight too. It comes over our house particularly low, and you sometimes make out the passengers sat bolt upright in their narrow plastic seats and sometimes you can even hear them scratching the numbers off their scratchcards.

There is a fly past/over due this weekend Lancaster and Dakota for the Canal Festival

Does anyone know what type of plane was circling quite low this morning around 11.30.* Four engines, and low enough to see the RAF emblems .

Does anyone know what type of plane was circling quite low this morning around 11.30.* Four engines, and low enough to see the RAF emblems .

A Lancaster was due over Worksop around that time.

A Lancaster was due over Worksop around that time.

It was a Lancaster for certain flew directly over our house towards Rotherham, really low, great sight and sound.

Was over Moss Way at 11.30 on it's way to Staveley.

The whole battle of Britain memorial flight was,unsurpringly, out and about today.