Massacre of moorhens in Endcliffe Park

Guest makapaka
Seriously, ban dogs from public parks because one dog hasn't been kept under control!?

I've nearly been ran into by children on bikes and scooters (in areas where it is clearly sign posted stating that no bikes are allowed) so maybe we should ban bikes and scooters from public parks too!! My dog has better recall than out of control children on wheels.

Poor Moorhens :(

Not bam then from public parks - just ban them running free in public parks.

They already are, see section 14 of this link; it's pretty specific.

Sadly it doesn't stop selfish idiot owners from ignoring it, because their precious little Fifi or Fido wouldn't harm a flea.

They already are, see section 14 of this link; it's pretty specific.

Sadly it doesn't stop selfish idiot owners from ignoring it, because their precious little Fifi or Fido wouldn't harm a flea.

It does not say that all dogs have to be on leads. It states that dogs should be under control and not cause annoyance and if they do then they should be on a leash. Signs entering parks state that dogs need to be kept under control and it does not say that this must be done by using a lead.

I'm going to continue being one of these selfish idiot owners you talk of who allows their dog off the lead. I mentioned previously my dog has excellent recall and does not cause any problems for other people. If there are signs that specifically state dogs to be on a lead I adhere to those.

It does not say that all dogs have to be on leads. It states that dogs should be under control and not cause annoyance and if they do then they should be on a leash. Signs entering parks state that dogs need to be kept under control and it does not say that this must be done by using a lead.

I'm going to continue being one of these selfish idiot owners you talk of who allows their dog off the lead. I mentioned previously my dog has excellent recall and does not cause any problems for other people. If there are signs that specifically state dogs to be on a lead I adhere to those.

It DOES specify the parks in which dogs MUST be restrained by a leash. The list includes Endcliffe Park.

It DOES specify the parks in which dogs MUST be restrained by a leash. The list includes Endcliffe Park.

Does it say it at the entrances of the listed parks? Or is it just this document that was written in 66?

Does it say it at the entrances of the listed parks? Or is it just this document that was written in 66?

I'm not there at the moment, and Google Street View's resolution isn't that good when it comes to zooming in on signs from the road, , but make of this what you will.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3677958,-1.5103917,3a,15y,47.41h,79.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smoELkCJeYJUxqwHA6Bg7Zg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

To be fair, I think there are other entrances without signs.

p.s. I should say I'm not anti dog at all, and actually do like them. Given a slightly different lifestyle, I'd probably have one myself.

Edited by peak4

Bad parenting

A duck for example will always feign injury, usually a broken wing, to distract any threat.

It's the circle of life

I think you've mistaken ducks for footballers

The sign says...

Dogs MUST be under control at all times

NO dogs in the playground areas

Dogs MUST be on a lead in the cafe area

The sign says...

Dogs MUST be under control at all times

NO dogs in the playground areas

Dogs MUST be on a lead in the cafe area

Thanks for confirming as I thought it said that. So dogs don't have to be on a lead as long as they are kept under control. I'm not an selfish idiotic owner after all then ?

Probably not very popular but what more could the owner do than stand and shout once the dog was in the pond?

He / She could have waded out and got their dog back. Seeing as its only about two feet deep in there.

I think anyone who knows their dog isn't 100% obedient to a command (and let's face it, that's the vast majority of dogs) should keep it on a lead around any kind of wildlife or farmlife.

I also get so annoyed by seeing people walking ill-trained dogs off-lead in the peak district, around ground nesting birds, despite the fact that there are signs everywhere asking people to put them on a lead. About a month ago, I watched a guy running with two dogs near Higger Tor - one of them was completely and utterly out of control, to the point that it ran out of sight and then got completely confused about where it actually was.

I think anyone who knows their dog isn't 100% obedient to a command (and let's face it, that's the vast majority of dogs) should keep it on a lead around any kind of wildlife or farmlife.

I also get so annoyed by seeing people walking ill-trained dogs off-lead in the peak district, around ground nesting birds, despite the fact that there are signs everywhere asking people to put them on a lead. About a month ago, I watched a guy running with two dogs near Higger Tor - one of them was completely and utterly out of control, to the point that it ran out of sight and then got completely confused about where it actually was.

When I was last out at Stanage (my dog was on the lead despite her always sticking to paths and not being a chaser - she's a laid back Collie!) I was speaking to a conservationist and apparently it's illegal to have your dog off the lead when ground birds are nesting.