Massacre of moorhens in Endcliffe Park

Some ground nesting birds do it tinfoil, not seen any ducks do it .

Some ground nesting birds do it tinfoil, not seen any ducks do it .

Plenty of birds do it - lapwings are the ones Ive seen do it the most - hence the name. Its a fairly short list though.

My dog would so do this, a cocker spaniel that goes crazy for any small critter or birds. Totally zones out and wont stop until tired or physically caught. Learned early on that she will always be on a lead since spending 30 mins swimming after ducks on damflask.

What does annoy me is people who encourage you to let her off, they haven't seen the other side of her when her inner instincts kick in.

Plenty of birds do it - lapwings are the ones Ive seen do it the most - hence the name. Its a fairly short list though.

Add coots to your list; saw one at Potteric Carr playing dead when attacked by a stoat a few years ago.

some dogs natural instint, get over it.

It's not the dogs fault - there's no need to waste the polices time either.

The owners are the one's at fault for not putting it on a lead in the first place. There's too many dogs around as it is without having them running all over public parks.

If it's the owners to blame then how do you stop them letting it happen again if you don't involve the police?

Guest makapaka
If it's the owners to blame then how do you stop them letting it happen again if you don't involve the police?

I don’t see what the police could do about a dog eating a duckling in a park that’s all.

32 years of bird watching chief, never seen the behaviour you talk of in ducks , never seen it in a report or study. I've seen flapping and quacking, but not feigning injury.

If you see it again, film it, you'll get published!

I always find life is best viewed through the eyes to be honest

Perhaps you should try it.

I always find life is best viewed through the eyes to be honest

Perhaps you should try it.

I do. I explained it in the post you quoted. Have another read, slowly this time, and have another go.

Seriously, ban dogs from public parks because one dog hasn't been kept under control!?

I've nearly been ran into by children on bikes and scooters (in areas where it is clearly sign posted stating that no bikes are allowed) so maybe we should ban bikes and scooters from public parks too!! My dog has better recall than out of control children on wheels.

Poor Moorhens :(

I don’t see what the police could do about a dog eating a duckling in a park that’s all.

Me neither ..isn't there a law against "out of control" dogs?